Snapped: Exploring Attenborough Lakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

When you’ve got friends visiting and you want to show them more than the grimy floors of Nottingham’s nightclubs and escape the centre for a bit, the lakes situated just outside of Beeston are a perfect place to go. This is the situation I found myself in this weekend, and so I took my entourage of sister and best friend out of the city and into the muddy footpaths of Attenborough. Bonus points if you or your friend have a car or feel like cycling over there, but you can also just hop onto the Indigo bus (only a quid for students each way) or catch the train to Attenborough train station and get your dose of fresh air in a jiffy.  Definitely wear your boots for walking though, unless you are hoping to change your shoes to a nice shade of brown (and don’t wear converse unless you want to spend the following weeks squelching around campus).

We all like a good walk now and then, and I’m sure you’ve already had plenty of practice walking through the Downs on University Park, but Attenborough Nature Reserve provides a change of scenery and some exciting wildlife (mostly of the winged variety). If you want to become best friends with the birdies, you can purchase some bird seed from the Attenborough Nature Centre, thus avoiding feeding them bread which swells horribly in their stomach and is very bad for them. I myself became quite enchanted with a particular swan who was working the camera for a good ten minutes.

I’ll leave you to discover the many other bird species to be found there, such as lapwings and tufted ducks (with thanks to my trusty wildlife expert) but just remember that we’re never too far away from beautiful spots to explore in Nottingham. Happy adventuring!

Sarah Holmes

Nottingham

Sarah is currently a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, studying Biochemistry and Biological Chemistry. As a photography intern for HC Nottingham, she now has an excuse for all the snaps she takes while out and about exploring the city. In addition to this, she is also a copy editor (mostly because she's one of those annoying gals who likes to correct you). In between adventures, she can often be found either: cuddled up with her two extremely fluffy labradoodle pups Sherlock and Watson; singing loudly in her student flat; reading books about bad-ass women of the past; fretting about whether her fringe is straight or trying not to burn something in the kitchen.
Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.