Life > Experiences

Six Things To Get You Into The Festive Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Don’t feel Christmassy yet? Steph shares her top tips to get you into the festive mood, ranging from wintery films to making a classic gingerbread house – hoping to get you feeling more in the mood for the Christmas period that is coming!!

Keeping your Christmas spirits high can sometimes be challenging. Especially as the days gets colder and the uni deadlines start to approach you. A time that is supposed to be full of joy and cheer can quickly become stressful. Complete a few of these fun activities, and you’ll be feeling Christmassy in no time!

• Christmas Drinks

Nothing quite says Christmas like going to your favourite coffee shop and getting a Christmas-themed drink. From gingerbread coffee to orange hot chocolate, there is something for everyone to try. For those who would like a Christmas-themed alcoholic beverage, I recommend baileys hot chocolate or coffee, and don’t forget the mulled wine! Making your own festive-themed drinks at home is also fun activity to do.

• Christmas Movies

Christmas movies are my go-to activity to make Christmas feel more festive. After going a year without watching any, it’s vital to binge-watch as many as you can before it’s too late. Need help choosing? My personal favourites are Elf, The Holiday, and The Nativity. And of course, there are classics such as Home Alone, Polar Express, and The Grinch.

• Christmas Markets

There is nothing more Christmassy than visiting the Christmas Markets. The wooden chalet-style huts, covered in lights and tinsel, surround you with Christmas joy. From churros to Christmas decorations and hot chocolates to carousels, the Christmas Markets have something for everyone to enjoy. Even if you’re on a budget, the Christmas markets are still the perfect activity to do this December. Just simply walk around the stall and take in the atmosphere but make sure to wrap up warm!

• Christmas Music

Sometimes you can find yourself too busy to go to the Christmas markets. But not to worry, sometimes putting on some Christmas music is good enough to make you feel festive! It’s simple but effective. You can listen while driving to and from work or even when tidying. My personal favourite is listening while putting up the Christmas decorations or while Christmas shopping to feel extra festive.

• Christmas Jumper

They may be ugly and obnoxious and sometimes even may be embarrassing. But Christmas jumpers do, however, make you feel extremely Christmassy. If you want to be somewhat fashionable, then I recommend looking on ASOS. Additionally, rummaging through your parent’s old wardrobe or having a look on Depop is a great way to shop sustainably during the Christmas time.

• Make a Gingerbread House

Gingerbread houses are a great activity to do with your family and friends. Baked gingerbread glued together by icing and decorated with colourful sweets, topped with the aromatic flavour of cinnamon and ginger, is the perfect way to treat you and your family. Gingerbread house kits are readily available online on sites such as Amazon and Lakeland and if you’re brave enough, try making one from scratch!

Sources:

http://www.feelchristmassy.co.uk/christmas-features/dont-feel-christmassy-10-things-must-get-festive-spirit/

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/gingerbread-house-kits

Stephanie Else

Nottingham '22

Graduated with a geography degree at the University of Birmingham and recently started my Marketing MSc at the University of Nottingham. I look forward to sharing my knowledge on all things fashion and beauty.