This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Drunk, sweating and mascara smeared across our faces, why exactly are we at our most appealing in a club? Whether riding the wave in Ocean or ceaselessly dancing at Dollop, we find ourselves swamped with unwanted attention from intoxicated admirers. Contrary to popular belief, it’s not just girls who suffer from sexual harassment. Indeed, as the lights go down and the drinks are flowing, girls can be just as guilty as boys when it comes to a surreptitious grope or cringey chat-up line. These anonymous interviews offer a shocking insight into the reality of modern day clubbing…

The Girls:

What is your worst experience of sexual harassment in a club?

Girl A:  Last term, I was at Detonate when a guy came up to me and whispered in my ear “If you come back with me, I will go down on you all night”. It was unbelievably creepy.

Girl B: A guy kept asking me to go home with him after a night out. Obviously getting desperate, he pleaded “Please, we don’t have to f**k, I just want to cuddle”. I know it’s not actually that creepy but it was definitely….memorable.

Girl C: It really annoys me when boys grope my bum. Above all else, it’s not even my best feature!

Do you think you’ve ever been that little bit creepy in a club?

Girl A: I definitely become more confident when I’m drunk. But, I’ve never been creepy!

Girl B: Not to my knowledge.

Girl C: Maybe when I’ve been absolutely hammered. Not a good excuse, I know.

How do you think sexual harassment in clubs could be reduced?

Girl A: I really don’t know. There’s such a double standard. If the guy is attractive, you’re much less likely to think he’s creepy.

Girl B: That’s so true. Awful as it sounds, sometimes it can be an ego boost.

Girl C: It’s awful that we just accept harassment in clubs. A boy would never grab my bum in public so why is it okay in ‘Ocean’?

The Boys:

Boy A: Nah, girls don’t tend to be as obvious in clubs. When I was young, girls used to grab my bum all the time! What happened?

Boy B: One night, a girl kept grabbing hold of my arm and dragging me to the bar. She was trying to buy me drinks. Obviously, it doesn’t sound too bad but if a boy had been doing that to a girl it definitely wouldn’t have been acceptable.

Boy C: Technically it wasn’t in a club; I was in McDonald’s after a very heavy night at Crisis when I ran into a girl who knew some of my friends. We chatted for a little while before she said she was all on her own and needed to find our mutual friend. After walking aimlessly around town for 20 minutes, she announced her friends had left ages ago and invited me back to hers! She tore me away from my mates and had me following her around town in the freezing cold. She seemed so nice. I was furious.

Do you think you have ever been that little bit creepy in a club?

Boy A: That’s really not my style. I see boys coming on to my female friends a lot and it’s just so creepy. Last week, a guy even tried to start a fight with me just because I was protecting my friends from his creepy advances.

Boy B: Probably, yeah… When I was absolutely hammered.

Boy C: Nahh

How do you think sexual harassment could be reduced in clubs?

Boy A: Erm, ban alcohol.

Boy B: Single sex clubs… Obviously, I’m joking

Boy C: Groping etc is definitely unacceptable but ultimately alcohol brings out the worst in people.

Although that creepy guy’s advances constitutes as a hilarious anecdote, there is a very sinister reality to Nottingham nightlife. Just where exactly do we draw the line? 

Edited by Mackenzie Orrock

Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.