This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

As the days are getting shorter, deadlines are getting closer and temperatures are getting colder, it’s also getting increasingly more difficult to find the motivation to squeeze in your usual Wednesday-night outings. If you’re up for socialising and relaxing but don’t want to brave the sub-zero temperatures in a classic jeans and bandeau combo, then you should definitely gather your gang for an evening at Sur La Piste.

In the heart of Old Market Square, it’s impossible to miss the giant Apres-Ski style chalet protruding out from all of the other glittering attractions of Nottingham’s Winter Wonderland. The two-story building is bathed in a warm yellow glow which promises cosiness and shelter from the frosty winter weather, and the faux-fur rugs and festive plants dotted around the interior scream “Christmas” enough to warrant a visit or two at this time of year.

The bar is stocked with loads of options, from German beers to mulled wine and even hot toffee apple cider. I decided to try the cider (despite holding back all year for November to arrive, so I can justify guzzling litres of mulled wine!) to mix it up a bit. At £5 for a small cardboard cup of the stuff, I’m not completely convinced it’s good value for money. However, there’s no entry fee to visit the bar, and it’s not every day you experience an après-ski bar in the East Midlands. The drink itself was surprisingly delicious and almost knocks mulled wine from the top of my list of winter warmers – but if you’re someone who doesn’t love a sweet drink then it might not be for you.

The atmosphere at the bar was buzzing, with dozens of people milling around in woolly hats and cosy jackets. There are parts of the bar which are outdoor and give you a great view of the market and the ice-skating rink – and if you’re really lucky you might bag yourself a seat under a heater. The upstairs section of the bar is homely and cosy, and would be great for larger groups who want to relax and spend a bit more time together at the bar.

I’m not telling you to ditch Crisis every week, but it’s definitely worth going to this bar if you only have a few hours to spare or simply want to do something out of the ordinary. It has definitely kicked me into the Christmas spirit, and I’ll certainly be returning for more of that cider!

Rating: 4/5

Emily Holt

Nottingham '20

Emily is a fourth-year student of English and French at the University of Nottingham. After spending the past academic year studying in France whilst completing an internship reviewing tourist hotspots in the South of France, Emily has joined the Her Campus Nottingham team as a reviewer to work her magic on the East Midlands local scene.
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.