Life > Experiences

Review: Springtime Activities in Nottingham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

As the weather starts to improve and thoughts of ditching our winter coats emerge, Nottingham opens its doors to new, exciting activities in the city. Ellenor shares some spring inspiration for things to do this season.

Picnic at Wollaton

Why not spend the day at the park we all know and love? Home to 500 acres of scenic land, a classic Elizabethan house, two museums, and approximately 200 deer, Wollaton has it all. This time of year is ideal for relaxing in the sun and kicking a ball about with mates while picnicking. Wollaton Hall also provides a beautiful background for Instagram pics too!

And if the weather isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, a stroll around the lake can be just as energising. With deadlines approaching, it’s always a good idea to get some fresh air. A trip to Wollaton might just be the best medicine for this time of year!

Attenborough Nature Reserve

If you fancy going slightly further out of the city centre, then I’d recommend the Attenborough Nature Reserve. Opened in 1966 by Sir David Attenborough himself and managed by the Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust, the reserve has over 160 species of birds and hundreds of plants and insects. If you’re lucky you might even see some otters.

With different paths and routes, visitors can accommodate their trip in a way that suits them. Accessible by bus or car, the reserve is about 25 minutes away from the centre of Nottingham, so bear this in mind if you plan a visit. This is perfect for nature lovers or even those who just fancy a change of scenery. Plus there’s usually a lot of friendly dogs also enjoying a walk!

Boating on Highfields Lake

Something a bit closer to home however is Highfields Lake on Uni Park Campus. Boats including canoes and rowing boats are available to hire in the summer months, and will be accessible from 9th April this year. Priced at £5 per hour per person, it’s a reasonable yet fun activity to do with friends in the warmer weather. It also offers a different perspective of campus as you drift alongside the Trent Building.

Located next to Highfields Park Adventure Golf (priced at £9.50 for 18 holes, or £5.50 for 9), you could really make a day of it, all while remaining on campus!

Beer Gardens

With the evenings becoming lighter, a trip to the beer garden is on the minds of many. Lucky for us, Nottingham has a range of unique and aesthetic pubs with outdoor seating throughout the city. Some of my favourites include Canalhouse located, you guessed it, along the canal with an outdoor area covered in fairy lights and heaters for the chillier evenings. Magic Garden in Lace Market has a lovely beer garden under a canopy filled with coloured lighting, disco balls, and an extensive cocktail list – ideal for Spring and Summer. Finally, Sir John Borlase Warren has a sun terrace upstairs which some may not know about. With cute wooden seating and vibrant pillows, it’s ideal for those based in Lenton.

The city has plenty of activities on offer throughout the summer months. Whether you’re wanting to escape the hustle and bustle with a nature walk, or relax with friends on a terrace, there’s something to keep everyone occupied over the last few months of term.

Let’s just hope the weather cooperates!

Head of Reviews for Nottingham 21/22 Final year English & French undergraduate!