This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Following the release of his new album ‘R.Y.C’ on Friday, Mura Masa and his new band brought a warmth to the Metronome, performing songs old and new in a one-hour performance that beautifully demonstrated the electronic artist’s talents.

Having never visited the Metronome before, I was pleasantly surprised by the location. Whilst the interior was modern and spacious, the stage area was small and close, making the performance an intimate interaction between Mura Masa, his band and the audience. What is also pleasing about this place is that it was curated and founded by Nottingham Trent University, making it a perfect example of the positive impact and influence that the presence of two well-regarded universities has brought to Nottingham.  

So, this place seemed liked the perfect spot for Mura Masa to debut his new album and he certainly did not disappoint. Although the set only lasted an hour it was packed with new and old songs alike including top hits ‘1 Night’, ‘Love$ick’ and ‘What If I Go?’. The entirety of ‘R.Y.C’ varies in melody, rhythm and mood with songs such as ‘Deal Wiv It’ getting the crowd bouncing and ‘I Don’t Think I Can Do This Again’ and ‘Teenage Headache Dreams’ elevating the electronic vibe across the room. What is also worth noting is the vocals from various artists on the new album including slowthai, Georgia, and Clario who all rightly deserve a mention. 

Another worthy mention should go to the band who played with Mura Masa himself. Their talents brought the whole performance together. Unfortunately, I have not been able to attain the names of any of the people individually however, the two singers brought a particular energy to the stage that I hope they can carry with them for the rest of the tour. Moreover, both the drummer and bassist brought a further energy to the stage, not once pausing throughout the entire performance. Even throughout some technical sound issues that occurred during the show, the band kept playing without hesitation, showing their professionalism and desire to perform well, which made the performance run smoothly and enjoyed by all. 

All in all, the evening was very entertaining. The music, the lighting and the set all complimented each other in a way that allowed Mura Masa and his band to expres their music in a way that invited the audience to be part of what was an enticing one hour of music. For only £16 which included receiving a hard copy of the new album, it was definitely worth the money and a great way to start the weekend!

Mura Masa’s new album is out now, and you can follow his tour and music via Instagram: @the_mura_masa – definitely worth a follow!