Review: Lonely The Brave at Bodega

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

4 Stars

NME say their name will be up in lights, “whether they like it or not”. Kerrang think they are “simply phenomenal”. So the anticipation was real as breakthrough Cambridge quartet, Lonely The Brave, performed an incredibly intense and intimate gig to a small crowd of alt-rock enthusiasts.

Kicking off with stand-out track ‘Trick Of The Light’, they performed strapping, addictive rock melodies which are refreshing from track to track. Anthemic choruses managed to fill the tiny Bodega venue with an electrifying vibe, akin to that of a liberating festival experience.

Amongst the gimmick-free, powerful indie metal, vocalist David Jakes has an uncomfortable edge about him, singing sideways from the audience with a passionate bellowing throughout, giving the songs a brutal honesty.

The intensity of energy, however, came from guitarist David Jakes – a clear crowd pleaser – as he literally threw himself into the crowd and interacted with an excitable audience. Rhythmic melodies flowed seamlessly; although the emotional, deeply-felt tracks such as ‘Dinosaurs’ broke up the energy with sometimes monotonous chords, tedious with a sound all too familiar.

Nevertheless, classic guitar-driven rock created a truly liberating vibe amongst the crowd, creating addictive sounds close to those of Biffy Clyro and The National. The epic hooks grounded within the choruses of this uplifting gig left the crowd shouting “we want more” as it drew to a close. I predict this band will only get bigger and bigger – see them live if you get the opportunity!

Edited by Harriet Dunlea

Image Source:

http://ikeproductions.co.uk/live-lonely-the-brave-deaf-institute-manchester/

First year International Media and Communications student at the University of Nottingham and Features writer for Her Campus! 
Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.