Review: King Lear at Nottingham New Theatre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

4 1/2 STARS

So we have finally come to the end of term and with it we have reached New Theatre’s last in-house show of 2014. And what better way to end it than with copious amounts of blood, murder and insanity? No, I’m not talking about end of term deadlines, it is of course NNT’s amazing production of Shakespeare’s tragedy King Lear.

For those who don’t already know the plot, King Lear follows the story of a powerful, but declining King’s descent into madness. Casting away those who care for him the most out of vanity and pride, Lear and the kingdom suffer the terrible consequences as he is undermined and manipulated by those who pander to him. He eventually loses control of his kingdom – and his mind.

The play opens to a bare dark set, which is sparse all but for the bold geometrical broken crown images on the floor and the back wall. Minimalist and creepy, this set sets the mood for New Theatre’s adaptation, which has the actors dressed in cold contemporary business suits as opposed to period attire. The impression this gives is clear – the issues and themes of NNT’s adaptation are as relevant today as they were in Shakespeare’s age. 

The production continues to impress as the acting is excellent throughout the performance. The stand out performance, however, has to be Nick Gill’s portrayal of King Lear. Delivering the complicated Shakespearian lines with flair and character, we were captivated as Gill took us through the stages of King Lear’s madness; cursing, shrieking and spitting one minute and sobbing the next. Intense emotion is on par for the course and some particularly poignant scenes include the thunderstorm, where Lear truly begins to unravel, and reunion between the King and his disowned daughter Cordelia which brings a tear to the eye. Other brilliant performances that deserve mention include the King’s two other daughters Regan and Goneril, played by Becca Jones and Genevieve Cunnell and the Earl of Gloucester played by Sam Peake.

For a play with such an unusually large cast, the director Gus Herbert also managed this production extremely well, especially considering the small acting space available. However with actors occasionally changing roles, it could have been made clearer at times that this has taken place, which resulted in a few moments of slight confusion. Also for those who are not familiar with the plot, it can be slightly difficult at times to discern what is happening – though it is usually fairly easy to work out after a few more lines of dialogue. Apart from this, and a few slightly fluffed lines in a couple of places, the production ran very smoothly.

To go or not to go? That is the question for the last week of term, and my answer is a definite yes. Emotional, engaging and intense, and for only £5 a ticket, this show is not one to missed.

For more information about tickets, click here.

Edited by Harriet Dunlea

Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.