This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The new historical drama on Netflix is about Henry V (Timothée Chalamet) who gets promoted from drunkard boy to King of England in the course of a day (after the death of his brother and father). The piece is directed by David Michôd. Henry V is often depicted due to his unexpected victories at the Battle of Agincourt (1415) and because Mr Shakespeare wrote Henry VI part 2. 

Chalamet is slowly becoming Hollywood’s new Leo. Previously he co-starred in Call Me by Your Name and the acclaimed indie film Ladybird. Unfortunately his gorgeous locks and full lips don’t quite compensate for his wooden acting, which is disappointing. Chalamet plays his role with sombre severity throughout; sadly his seriousness makes it easy to lose interest. His party-animal antics are rather too tame, considering his historical reputation. The film is too easy to tune in and out of, especially in the beginning which needed more scandal. 

The characters are all rather bland, I forgot most of their names as soon as they were off screen. None of them were charming enough to carry the scenes solely. John Falstaff’s character could have been bolder and more exaggerated, although Joel Edgerton successfully portrays Henry’s salt-of-the-earth right-hand man.   

Fortunately the film picks up halfway through with the arrival of our villain – Edward Cullen! Robert Patterson plays the erratic slightly sociopathic Prince of France. Sporting a long blonde bob, he looks like the love child of Draco Malfoy and Severus Snape. Undeniably his entrance is one of the highlights of the film, especially when paired with Falstaff’s witty lines and likability.

The battle scene is taken straight from Game of Thrones ‘Battle of the Bastards’. The camera takes focus of one character, Falstaff, drowning in a sea of men. We then follow Henry, dodging attacks whilst crawling through mud.  It’s an unglamorous scene that fully captures our attention. It’s less heroic than Kenneth Branagh’s 1984 classic but certainly grungier and arguably rooted within more realism.

The last part of the movie depicts the surrender of Charles VI in exchange for a marriage between his strong-willed daughter, Catherine (Lily Rose Depp), to Henry. The French Princess questions the King’s motives for beginning the war against France in a debate fuelled with chemistry between the actors. Not surprising seeing as the pair are dating off-screen, ah nepotism. The true origins of the invasion are revealed. Just before his marriage Henry murders the instigator in the presence of a young child causing a very bitter-sweet ending.  

Overall, there is a very serious tone to the film, unfortunately Chalamet lacks variety of expressions: going from serious to more serious. Certain scenes stand out and Patterson’s character fortunately adds humour to the drama. Watching this will definitely add to your understanding of the fifteenth century period (if you don’t zone out first!).

Rating: 3/5

Kate Welsh

Nottingham '20

3rd Year English and Classics student at Univeristy of Nottingham
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.