This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I’m fairly new to the beauty treatment game, only deciding to treat myself to my first ever lash extensions in time for my 22nd birthday last year. I spent hours scrolling through Instagram looking at the different lash styles, price lists and client testimonials of different technicians around Nottingham, until I finally settled on Jordan (@jordanstevenson_beauty). Ever since that day, I have become “that” girl who is always thinking about getting my next lash appointment and seeing what treatments I can justify splashing out for in the name of self-care.

Going to my first lash appointment, I had no idea what to expect – how long it would take, what it would feel like, how long the extensions would last – but Jordan was instantly super friendly and more than happy to talk me through the process. I find the application of lash extensions really relaxing, as you have to lie down with your eyes closed and try to be as still as possible – which happily doubles up as a great excuse to squeeze in a nap. The lashes are applied individually to your own eyelashes and you can ask for longer lashes to be put at different points of your eye to suit your eye shape or create a more dramatic look. I usually ask for a natural-but-better style so that my lashes are noticeably long and wispy, but not too dramatic to wear without make-up. Jordan’s studio is set up with a treatment bed, big mirrors and even a TV with Netflix so you can feel relaxed while you’re waiting for the lashes of your dreams to be applied. But Jordan’s personal touches are what keep me going back – she even has a bag of different shades of foundation so you can touch up your make up after your treatment (especially helpful to me after having a bright red forehead following a microblading session!).

I decided to get my eyebrows microbladed because I have always wanted a more defined arch and I have spent so much time filling it in over the years, but I wanted a natural look for the days when I don’t want to wear any make-up. Unlike with lash extensions, there was a little bit of preparation for my microblading, and it would take 2 sessions and a much longer time to get the desired result from the treatment. I went for my first appointment where I discussed my brow goals with Jordan and she outlined a shape for me before tweaking it to perfection and working together to choose the right colour dye for the look I wanted. The sensation of the microblading itself was strange and slightly uncomfortable, but I wouldn’t describe it as painful (and I am the world’s biggest wimp with an extremely low pain threshold). The whole appointment took around an hour, and then I was instructed to keep the area dry and avoid touching it for as long as possible. Over the next couple of weeks, the brows would fade, potentially scab, and then come through in the desired colour; then I had to go back at 6 weeks to fill in any areas and change the shape if I needed to. When I went back, I decided I wanted to go slightly darker on the arch and Jordan was happy to help find the right shade once again. Sitting here with my fully healed brows, I am so glad I went slightly darker and would advise microblading to absolutely anyone!

I trust Jordan to give her honest advice about the best lash and brow decisions for my face, rather than letting me get a full-on Scouse brow which wouldn’t suit me (no matter how much I wish that it would). We’ve had loads of conversations where Jordan has led me to making sensible decisions about what to get, and it’s obvious that she cares about the finished look being the right choice for the individual client, which I really respect. The atmosphere in her studio is so welcoming and friendly, it honestly feels like popping in for a cup of tea and a natter with an old friend. I think Jordan has managed to create a business with the perfect balance between a high level of professionalism and a casual, welcoming feel. She offers loads of treatments, from lip-fillers to best friend facials to dermaplaning, and I’m excited to see how else Jordan can help me look and feel great.

Jordan’s studio is located inside Bodycraft Tattoo and Piercings on Pelham Street (next to The Bodega), and her instagram handle is @jordanstevenson_beauty.

Emily Holt

Nottingham '20

Emily is a fourth-year student of English and French at the University of Nottingham. After spending the past academic year studying in France whilst completing an internship reviewing tourist hotspots in the South of France, Emily has joined the Her Campus Nottingham team as a reviewer to work her magic on the East Midlands local scene.
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.