Review: Jane Weaver at The Bodega

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

2 STARS

A night of unexpected surprises. Weaver’s sequined blazer flashed louder than her voice and instead of weaving musical magic, I was left with a mind-numbing buzz as I left The Bodega rather disorientated…

I’m not going to deny it, anyone who expects a dainty and cultured trip to the theatre on a Sunday night after a crazy weekend of Ocean Birthday celebrations, food and friends, but instead faces the realisation that Jane Weaver is a musical artist rather than the name of an individualistic play would be in for the same surprise as I was in for!

It was quite the hilarious pang of horror that sunk in as I realised that my quiet evening now involved a session of live music, but I still didn’t allow that to deter my determination to face the evening with a rather optimistic open mind for this 43 year old Liverpudlian singer.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love live music as much as the next person- I really do. It really did help that as I tentatively stepped foot into The Bodega’s cavern, there was a tangible tone of expectancy already hanging in the air. It did spark some excitement in me as I anticipated the turn in my evening and fully wished to enjoy what the evening had to offer.

What I didn’t expect however, was that when Weaver finally came on at 9pm, her sparkly eyelids and sequin jacket not only distracted me from her actual music but also sparkled louder in volume than her actual voice. I strained to hear her vocals and felt instead as though I was allowing my brain to be attacked rhythmically by the repetitive drumming of her background musicians. I didn’t particularly enjoy the heavy background music nor the strange, psychedelic sounds that reminded me faintly of an alien invasion and am sorry to say that I could only bear 22 minutes of her set. I did feel bad for leaving early but apart from the 30 seconds of awe I experienced as I witnessed her play a melodica (which is a kind of keyboard-flute instrument) I was put off by the fact that her voice was being swallowed by the acoustics and that she seemed to be the only person wholly consumed by the music.

Additionally, I found it rather uncomfortable to be buffered around by a slightly older crowd, who only came alive at the end of each song to applaud Weaver enthusiastically before watching her next song in rigid silence. It really wasn’t my ideal Sunday cup of tea!

I truly dislike to sound like the cynic I am right now, but truth be told, I feel that perhaps her music would have been more fitting for a Friday night and I am in no real rush to download Weaver onto my iTunes playlist.

Thank you for having me though Bodega, I do appreciate the invite and the warm welcome and am still laughing from the fact that I mistook Jane Weaver to be the name of an obscure theatre play!

For more on Jane Weaver:

http://www.janeweavermusic.com/

Edited by Georgina Varley

Image Sources:

http://www.bodeganottingham.com/images/gigs_2015/Jane%20Weaver%20cont.jpg

http://www.itb.co.uk/uploads/artists/551909f1eaf3f.jpg

Harry Potter Fanatic. What's life without a fresh, steaming coffee, a book to hand, and soaking in the London rain? Nox.
Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.