Review: The Importance of Being Earnest at Nottingham New Theatre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

4 STARS

As one of, if not the most well-known of Oscar Wilde’s plays, The Importance of Being Earnest is a comical, farcical treat when performed by a brilliant cast. And this production at the Nottingham New Theatre, directed by Nathan Penney, did not disappoint.

Indeed, the cast were astounding. Particular standouts were James Curling as a constantly hungry Algy, stuffing cucumber sandwiches in his waistcoat pockets to snack on later, and Emma Summerton who was the epitome of sophistication as Gwendolen Fairfax. Chrissy Courquin as Cecily was childlike and innocent, and her conflict with Gwendolen in Act Two was simply hilarious. Izzie Masters as Lady Bracknell not only delivered a rousing ‘Handbagggg?’, but quite literally showed her opinions by wielding her walking stick with aplomb, to the distress of poor Algy! The best performance of the night however, and the actor who got most of the laughs, was the brilliant George Waring as John – or Earnest – Worthing. In a part usually overshadowed by Bracknell and the other characters, Waring truly made Earnest his own, his facial expressions and wonderful upper-class accent leaving the audience in fits of laughter. Iona Hampson and Neil Ganatra as Miss Prism and Doctor Chasuble also gave spirited performances, although I feel more could have been made of their implied relationship, to add a further layer of comedy to the production.

The costumes were again fantastic, invoking the sense of the Victorian upper-classes and perfectly fitting the characters’ personalities. Sporting an enormous hat, a practically lethal walking stick and a vibrant red dress, there was no missing Lady Bracknell when she came onstage! The only thing which I feel let the production down somewhat was the set. Although I admit it is impossible to recreate two different Victorian sitting rooms and a garden onstage, and then transition between them with only ten minute intervals, I have seen previous productions at the New Theatre with more elaborate and appropriate sets. In a world of opulence where class and income means everything, I couldn’t help but feel that the set should reflect this, rather than having plain white walls and a simple sofa.

Overall, however, the director Nathan Penney, producer Ross Brisk, and cast should be immensely proud of themselves for this wonderful piece of theatre. Attempting to create a show, especially one as famous and well-loved as this, and performing it during exam season is particularly ambitious in itself and for this I highly commend everyone involved! For a break from revision and a truly fantastic night out, The Importance of Being Earnest is the perfect choice!

The Importance of Being Earnest runs at the New Theatre until May 14th. For more information and how to buy tickets:

http://newtheatre.org.uk/whats-on/

Image Source:

http://nt-tickets-static.s3.amazonaws.com/media/show/earnest_poster_v2.1.poster_page.jpg

English student at the University of Nottingham. Passionate about books, journalism, heritage and chocolate.