This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I haven’t sat and watched a film properly, with my phone on do not disturb, my eyes fixated on the screen and zoned out from the rest of the world in a while. When I read the summary of ‘Greta’ on Netflix, I thought this could be a film I stick with and watch without being distracted. Yet, whilst the film wasn’t terrible, it failed to live up to the oh so sinister demeanour some of the scenes set out to portray. 

Greta is the story of Frances (played by Chloe Grace Moretz) and Greta (Isabelle Huppert). Frances finds a handbag on the subway with Greta’s ID in it, proceeds to pick it up and return it to her. It is from here that an unlikely friendship sparks. Frances, having just moved to the city with her friend Erika, has lost her Mum and has a distant relationship with her Dad, whilst Greta is a widow whose daughter is ‘studying in Paris’ – at least that’s that narrative Greta gives Frances!

The film etches on the brink of suspense and satirical drama, with Greta’s increasing obsession with Frances, becoming slightly comical in places. Throughout the film we see Greta spit chewing gum and get angry in France’s place of work which, can be seen as kind of funny. However, as the story develops the true picture of Greta’s obsession develops as her past is slowly revealed and we learn of how she came to develop such an obsession derived from a pit of loneliness. 

Although the film somewhat failed to fully execute the suspense/thriller theme it seemed to aim for, there were some positive elements to it. It is set in New York and so the aesthetic surrounding the weird events were vibrant and booming. Despite the plot sometimes taking an odd turn the performances of both Moretz and Huppert were good. Moretz’s naiveness to the behaviour of Huppert and her characters ever-growing obsession develop rather quickly giving the film a fast-paced nature as events unfolded.

So, whilst this wasn’t the best thriller/suspense film I have seen, it wasn’t the worse and is definitely worth a watch for the certain elements of tension and on edge scenes as well as some jaw dropping actions from Greta (not in awe – more of a ‘I can’t believe Greta did that!’ vibe). Such parts are so bad in places, they are funny so there is a further entertainment element to the film. 

The easter break is here and if you have just over 90 minutes spare or want to escape dissertation writing or exam prepping, and can’t find anything else to watch maybe give Greta a try!

Greta is available to stream on Netflix. 

Hattie Gomme

Nottingham '21

20, UoN
Jess Smith

Nottingham '21

2020/2021 Editor-in-Chief for HerCampus Nottingham. Aspiring Journalist, with a lot of love for all things bookish. Final Year Sociology student, with a primary interest in Gender Studies, Film Analysis & Mental Health!