Review: The Great Gatsby at The Nottingham New Theatre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Glitz, glamour and a whole lotta’ guts: NNT’s production of The Great Gatsby earns a solid 5 STARS from Her Campus!

Imagine Long Island, New York, at the height of the roaring twenties. Decadence, desire and debauchery are rife in the air – and you’ve been invited to America’s most glamorous party with the infamous host, Gatsby – come on in…

This was how it felt to be sitting in the audience of the NNT’s production of The Great Gatsby, a fantastical adaptation of the world-renowned novel written by F. Scott Fitzgerald which did not disappoint! How is it possible to resist the temptation of twenties glamour coupled with the corruption promised by Daisy and Tom Buchanan, (Libby Boyd and Harry Bradley), whose relationship is centred on money and destruction?

For those of you who are unaware of the tale of Gatsby (where have you been?), let’s refresh your deadline-d out memories…

Nick Carraway, (Nick Gill), a Yale graduate and WW1 veteran descends on New York/Long Island in the summer of 1922. Daisy and Tom Buchanan are ‘happily’ married and invite Nick to meet their esteemed friend, Jordan Baker, (Becca Jones). Long story short, Jay Gatsby, (Ben Standish), is pining for Daisy, his love of five years previous. Gatsby goes to great lengths and expense to win Daisy’s heart, requiring the assistance of Nick and Jordan along the way. However, when tragedy strikes in Long Island and everyone hides behind their money, Nick must decide the price he attaches to his love and friendship…

Nick Gill, who assumes the lead in this production, was outstanding. His narration of the play, acting as a buffer between and even within scenes, captivated the audience’s attention throughout. His meticulousness never faltered and the raw emotion he expressed was second to none. In fact, the entire cast were commendable for their performances. Becca Jones’ witty cynicism was perfect in her characterisation of Jordan and Harry Bradley’s accent was seamless in his portrayal of Tom Buchanan, the arrogant and hypocritical bully of the play. Libby Boyd’s interpretation of the fickle and materialistic Daisy was also convincing – particularly with the well-choreographed dance duet between herself and Ben Standish (Gatsby).

The music of the production, very similar to the recent film adaption, was catchy and suited the actions of the characters well. The entire production was difficult to fault, but my one criticism perhaps is the lack of props used. This production had everything for it; brilliant costumes, exciting dance routines, catchy music – but if one thing was missing, it was definitely the absence of props which would have helped portray the scene so much more effectively. Maybe they could have incorporated an actual green light, (we all love that metaphor, eh?!), to really bring Gatsby home.

Other than this minor critique, the performance was noteworthy and memorable. As a devoted Gatsby – and Fitzgerald fan – I was thoroughly satisfied with this production and would most definitely recommend it.

And remember:

“Whenever you feel like criticizing any one… just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”

For more information on The Nottingham New Theatre:

http://newtheatre.org.uk/

Edited by Georgina Varley

Image source:

http://ticketing.newtheatre.org.uk/

Current second-year English and History Student. Aspiring journalist, avid tea-drinker.
Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.