This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’ll be fed up of going to the cinema only to find yourself spending an absolute fortune for the couple of hours you’ll spend looking at a screen. That’s why I was so glad to discover what Broadway Cinema in the Hockley/Lace Market area has to offer.

The cinema is in the middle of Hockley’s bustling, artsy Broad Street. It’s sandwiched between local favourites like JamCafé, Rough Trade, and BrewDog, and is lit up by fairy lights outside its main entrance. It doesn’t look like your typical run-of-the-mill cinema, and that’s because it’s an independent hub for all things film related. Alongside the obvious offerings of any usual cinema, Broadway has its own bar, which serves fresh food and drink throughout the day, and caters to vegetarian and vegan diets.

The cinema shows most of the popular releases, but also screens foreign language films and independent films that you might not see in your local cinema. The mission behind Broadway is to encourage a lifelong love of film for all, and they achieve this by providing £5 tickets to under 25s, parent and baby screenings, and adapting their screens to be more inclusive for those with learning difficulties or suffering with dementia.

Not only is the cinema inclusive, but it also encourages creativity by supporting young people with an interest in film, whether their interest lies behind the camera or behind the projector. They run a number of initiatives and events which support people in the local community, and that’s what gives Broadway its uniquely positive and welcoming atmosphere.

When I first visited Broadway, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I have been to independent cinemas before, and always preferred them to the generic, overpriced multiplexes you can find in whichever city you visit. But I was pleasantly surprised by how modern and buzzy it was inside the venue. I started out my visit with a pit-stop at the bar, where I ordered a pizza and a pint (because I have refined, classy taste), and grabbed a candle-lit table for two where I waited for the food to be brought over. It arrived quickly, and tasted even better than it looked. The atmosphere in the bar was really vibrant, with people of all ages mingling in the space and chatting. On the back wall of the bar, there’s a projecting reel of stills from the films currently being shown at the cinema, which makes for a great talking point as well as helping you to get a glimpse of what’s on. 

As I was keen not to miss the start of the film, I took the rest of my drink into the screen with me (yes, that’s allowed!), and found a seat near the front. There are no assigned seats, which can work for or against you depending on how many people you’re visiting with, etc., but I didn’t mind as I was only visiting in a pair. You’re free to pop out and visit the bar as many times as you want, and I can see myself going to watch a rom-com with some friends and getting through a bottle of wine here in the future. It seemed like everyone else in the screen was relaxed and friendly, enjoying the laid-back ambience of the venue. 

The whole experience of my visit to Broadway felt refreshing: I didn’t pay over the odds only to get a measly tray of nachos and a soft drink, and I didn’t rush in and out of the cinema within 5 minutes of the start and end time of my film. I came away feeling like I’d had a really enjoyable experience where I was able to take my time and really appreciate the film and the venue, and my ticket was significantly cheaper than prices I’ve paid to see films elsewhere.

If you’re looking for something to do on a rainy day, or any day, I’d strongly suggest catching a film at Broadway and supporting the great work they are doing for the local community. I only wish I could say I’d done the same a lot sooner!

Rating: 4.5/5

Emily Holt

Nottingham '20

Emily is a fourth-year student of English and French at the University of Nottingham. After spending the past academic year studying in France whilst completing an internship reviewing tourist hotspots in the South of France, Emily has joined the Her Campus Nottingham team as a reviewer to work her magic on the East Midlands local scene.
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.