This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Being a second-year student, I’ve already had my fair share of formal dinners and uni balls so I wasn’t expecting too much from this year’s Broadgate Park Christmas Party. A girl in my flat was eager to go – I mainly saw it as an excuse to wear my new, and very glittery, dress! 

Saying that I was surprised would be an understatement, from the effort behind decorating the venue to (if you had the experience of first-year catered halls, you’ll relate to my shock) the quality of the three-course meal. The night was by far my best uni formal experience – an opinion shared by the two third-year girls I live with. The event was held at Beeston Hockey Club, just down the road from Broadgate, and was transformed into a huge star-lit marquee, fitting the night’s theme, Moonlit in Marrakech. The blue and purple lights also made for great photo opportunities, which all of my group definitely took advantage of! For only ten pounds, we had bottles of wine on the table (I had nearly a full bottle!), an evening meal, as well as a variety of entertainment, including acrobats, fire performers and even dodgems. I’d have paid at least double that for what the night delivered! My only criticism, or disappointment, would be the absence of the promised cheese buffet – it may have come out later, even though we were one of the last groups to leave, or I was too in the moment dancing to Christmas songs, but being a cheese lover, this was definitely missed! Looking at the venue’s website, the experience we had is their Christmas party package for this year, meaning it can be booked for groups of a minimum of eight people.

So far, living in university halls as a second-year student has been ideal for me. No stress of organising housing, being in walking distance to lectures and having a bathroom to myself are just some of the obvious perks, while still having the social side of living away from home. People are always so shocked when I tell them that I live at Broadgate, especially as I didn’t live there last year, and to be honest, I would be too. Living in university halls again is not the usual university living experience. I am living with friends in a student house for third year, however, I would definitely recommend Broadgate if you’re unsure or stressed about housing. Another huge plus for me has been the extra chance to meet new people in a hall atmosphere. I’d say Broadgate is more relaxed and friendly; I share a flat with a mix of students from another second-year to a final year Masters Architecture student, therefore I’m integrating with students I never would have.

Overall, the Christmas Party was such a fun night and sharing a table with a big group of people I live with made the night even better.

5/5

Emma Stirland

Nottingham '21

Editor-in-Chief for Nottingham 20/21 3rd Year English Language and Literature student A bit of a coffee addict, lover of cats and candles and modernist literature