Review: Blue Stockings at Nottingham New Theatre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

4 ½  STARS

Thought provoking and passionate, Blue Stockings exemplifies the best of professional and student theatre with its charming and sincere production. Showcasing excellent student acting alongside a fascinating script and dynamic production design, Blue Stockings is a show not to be missed.

Blue Stockings marks the 5th collaboration between the Nottingham New Theatre and Lakeside, and their first joint production of a more contemporary play. Set in 1896 against the backdrop of institutionalised sexism, we follow Cambridge student Tess and her friends as they face the prejudice of being women in higher education. Set over one academic year, the play charts their relationships, hardships, and struggle to graduate on equal footing alongside their male contemporaries.

Looking at the programme shows just how dedicated the cast and crew of this production are to the message of their production. From profiling the female presidents of university societies to the words of the Vice-Chancellor pointing out the University of Nottingham’s own history with women graduates, it is clear that this is a production that is deeply rooted in its history, and is all the better for it. 

The overall quality of the acting is superb. Tess O’Gorman, the emotional heart of the play as the central character Tess, is an outstandingly gifted performer, and is able to perform with nuance and energy. She was well matched by the rest of the cast; the chemistry between the female classmates was terrific, and they really drew you into the world of their relationships.  In addition, many of the male students and professors act their chauvinistic side with intimidating ferocity in the play’s more climactic moments. It was testament to the skill of the entire cast that all of their characters were distinct – despite the Victorian setting, and many having similar characters on the surface, every cast member was distinct and memorable. Although there were some moments where I felt it became too shouty, and some performances were a bit over the top, these were few and far between and the core performances were truly terrific.

The production value of the play is stunning – the set, costumes, and sound design work together perfectly. It is refreshing to see a production involving student actors with such a vibrant set design when so many productions rely on minimalism – the books suspended from the ceiling are particularly well done. The costumes are all convincingly of their time and suit each character perfectly, with personalised embroidery subtly sewn into the women’s skirts. In addition, the beautiful transitional music between each scene suits the tone of the play well, and allows for more seamless set changes from the actors.

Blue Stockings marks another triumphant collaboration between Nottingham New Theatre and Lakeside, with excellent acting, beautiful production design, and a hugely relevant subject matter. It is incredibly poignant and will stay with you long after you have left the theatre.