This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s safe to say that I have a slight coffee addiction: from my usual flat white to a double espresso (especially necessary after Crisis), there’s no coffee-related drink I won’t be willing to try. 200 Degrees Coffee, named so after the temperatures involved in their coffee roasting and serving, has been a personal fave since my old school friend recommended it to me as her favourite working spot and I’ve never looked back! The flagship coffee shop, located on Flying Horse Walk, just off Market Square on the tram lines, was the first of now ten coffee shops across the country – from Leeds to Leicester, 200 Degrees are changing the UK coffee scene. The atmosphere is buzzing (maybe from all the caffeine in the air!) yet also relaxed enough to make it an ideal spot to catch up with friends, finish that essay or watch the world go by from the outside seating area. Wood panelling, warm low-lighting and stained-glass windows give the 17th century space a relaxed and inviting mood, adding to the overall coffee experience. Check out their daily chalkboard outside the shop for coffee puns and illustrations!

My go-to order is a flat white and if latte art gets you excited, you’ve got to give 200 Degrees a visit – your Instagram will thank you! From the classic rosetta, the one that looks a bit like a tree, to an intricate swan, the 200 Degrees baristas are beyond talented when it comes to the perfect pour! If you’ve got a sweet tooth, their cakes and pastries do not disappoint. They are handmade on site daily and when I want to treat myself, which, I admit, happens to be most times I walk by, I indulge in their super dark chocolate brownie that surprisingly happens to be vegan! Next time I’ll be definitely trying one of their new winter drinks; the spiced orange hot chocolate ticks all my festive boxes. Since starting second year, I’ve become more conscious of my spending habits, especially on eating out, (meal card I miss you) so I’m thrilled to know that 200 Degrees sell their coffee beans to use at home and even do a coffee subscription service.

Nottingham is known for its thriving independent scene and It’s in Nottingham host an annual campaign designed to promote and celebrate the eclectic array of independent businesses that our city has to offer. 200 Degrees is just one of many independent coffee shops nestled in the city and I’m sure once you’ve made the switch to independent, you will agree with me that it’s always superior on quality, taste and experience.

Check out the It’s in Nottingham for all the best food, drink and shopping finds in Notts.

Rating: 4/5

Emma Stirland

Nottingham '21

Editor-in-Chief for Nottingham 20/21 3rd Year English Language and Literature student A bit of a coffee addict, lover of cats and candles and modernist literature