Regrets You Don’t Want to Have in Your First Year at Uni

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

You might have thought freshers’ week was the ‘best thing ever’ but this year has the potential to be one of the best years of your life. As long as you make the most of it that is. You don’t want to be clearing your room in June thinking “Oh I wish I had done…”, so here are my 7 regrets that you do not want in your first year.

1. “You did WHAT with WHO?”

So he might not have been the best looking lad ever but you did it, you kissed him on the balcony in Ocean and you’ve spent Saturday brunch with a burning red face of embarrassment. Get over it. It happens to the best of us. Freshers’ year is all about learning to move on and deal with the most shameful things.

2. “I really wish I had gone on a rag raid…”

Tales of drunken debauchery on the back of a bus whilst puking up pink ‘chunder’ over a Primark onsie may be one’s idea of hell, but just do it once. Once is all I’m asking.You’ll be armed with at least one good story for the rest of the year.

3. “I wish I had got to know my neighbour…”

He might be ‘one of the lads’ or she might be an intimidating beauty from the south but don’t be shy, just say hi (my new policy when meeting people!) The best thing about uni is meeting people from all walks of life and everybody has a story to tell of their gap year or more importantly their Wednesday night at Crisis.

4. “I wish I’d done Campus 14…”

Another excuse for fancy dress and alcohol consumption! It also a great way of getting to know campus as you will inevitably get lost wandering around the Downs. 

5. “I wish I had gone out more…”

The best thing about Fresher’s year is, it doesn’t actually count towards your degree.I’m not saying don’t try, aim for a 2:1, but please don’t put so much pressure on yourself that you become a wining banshee in Hallward. Just keep that in mind for second year and go to Forum.

6. “I wish I had joined the gym…”

Unfortunately there is such a thing as Freshers’ Fat. Through a combination of carb heavy hall meals and drinking more alcohol than usual, it is inevitable that you are going to gain a few pounds. Join the gym or just go for a run/jog/leisurely walk around the beautiful campus every once in a while. Come bikini season, you’ll be grateful that you did!

7. “I should have got involved in something”

Try out for a sports team, get involved with the student radio, run in the JCR elections, write for a magazine, audition for a play, just do something! You will meet loads of new people and in the future it might even bulk out your CV with something interesting. There is no harm in trying something once.

Now please, go enjoy your time at university. Just think in 10 years time you could be in the scary world of being a grown up and having to pay bills. Now is the time to have fun.

Crisis photo credit: https://www.facebook.com/johnnysphotography

Hannah Rought is a third year English student at University of Nottingham. She is successfully (?) managing her studies and being Head of Social Media for Her Campus Nottingham. Expect her to tweet #thirdyearwoes a lot this year, she doesn't want to graduate and have to become a real life grown up!