Ravi for AmeriCan Society President!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The Student Union Elections may be over but it’s not too late to get involved and have a say on who are representing you in your societies! In keeping with the student elections theme, Her Campus caught up with Ravi Punn this week, the current Treasurer for AmeriCan Society and the Vice President for Duke of Edinburgh Society, who is running for President for AmeriCan Society. 

Tell us about your experience in the society committees this year. 

So I was Vice President for Duke of Edinburgh (DofE), which was a different experience from AmeriCan Society where I was Vice President. DofE was less social and it practically manages itself. We have a really good president this year who gets things done. AmeriCan society was way more social and more hands on. As treasurer, I made sure the finances were all sorted. We had a lot more activities so the experience was different but both of them were great!

Would you recommend being in a committee?

Yeah I definitely would! It looks wicked on your CV and you get to build on skills outside your course. I think it’s also a good way to get a break from your course cause you get to focus on something else as well.

Why are you running for AmeriCan Society president?

As treasurer, I’ve gotten to know a lot about the ins and outs of the society so I already knew plenty about the role of president. I feel I can bring loads to the role because of my involvement with DofE as well. I wanted to use the skills that I’ve gained this year and challenge myself by heading a society so that’s why I’m running.

Tell us about your manifesto.

Okay well I have three key ideas that I want to try and implement:1) The advantage card. The idea behind this is that I want to try and get society members some perks. I won’t mention what or where these perks will be yet because I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up. But if anyone has any bright ideas, then let me know so I can work some magic! *laughs* I could use some inspiration! 2) Introduce a termly calendar so that the members are in the loop and are aware of the socials ahead of time. 3) An end of year ball. I want to have a big event to celebrate after all the hard work we do during the year! We deserve it!

What makes you different from the other candidates?

Like I said, I have tons of experience from this year and I’ve seen how the society is run and I have ideas on how to improve it further. I already have connections set up with Student Clubber from this year so that would be really useful. Also, as the other candidates are currently on the year abroad, I feel have more connections with the people who are currently in the society and who will still be here next year so I think there’s more comfort in them expressing their views on what we can do further to improve the society.

Who would you say is your favourite president and why?

I’d have to say FDR. One of my modules is on Presidential Rhetoric and I really liked how his mannerisms and ideas were able to bring people together in a crisis.

You’ve run for a lot of societies, ever considered running for Student Union?

No I haven’t really thought about it. Although if someone twists my arm to run then I’d probably consider it. As my homie Justin Bieber says, never say never!

Quickfire:

Night in or night out? Night out 

Ocean yay or nay? Nay – sorry! It’s just a tiny bit cheesy for my taste.

What did you want to be when you were five years old? Doctor

Fun fact about yourself, personal claim to fame or special talent? I can play the sitar?

Main course or dessert? Main course, definitely.

Ultimate karaoke song? Someone Like You by Adele. It shows of my vocal range.

Snog-Marry-Avoid: Mary Berry, Kris Jenner, Madonna? Marry Mary Berry (laughs), Avoid Kris Jenner – I don’t want that drama in my life, Snog Madonna

If you could have a superpower, what would it be? Control of time – that would be so sick! 

Jenine Tudtud

Nottingham '17

Jenine is a fourth year American and Canadian Studies student at the University of Nottingham and is hoping to get a career in journalism or publishing. She is currently one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Nottingham! She has just returned from The College of New Jersey after spending the past year studying abroad.