Rachael Cooney – Sustainable Fashion Blogger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s often tough for us students to keep up with the latest fashion trends without being tempted by the cheaper, increasing throw-away culture promoted by high street labels. However 3rd year English student Rachael Cooney thinks otherwise, and has set out on a mission to heighten awareness to stylish, affordable,  and equally sustainable fashion with her blog, A Sustainable Thread. In her interview with HC, Rachael lets us in on her style tips to stay on-trend and eco-friendly, and why sustainable fashion is so important when it comes to expressing our style.

What made you want to create your fashion blog, A Sustainable Thread?

I think it probably began because I was really frustrated with the poor quality of a lot of the clothes on the high-street. I’d buy things, even mid-range pieces, which after a few washes would start to fall apart. This coincided with my misgivings about the excessive consumer lifestyle that the fashion industry tends to promote. I started looking into the various alternatives to fast-fashion and wrote an article over the summer for Impact Style about the ways that students could shop sustainably. Though increasingly there are more options, a lot of the time they come with a hefty price tag or the wrong aesthetic. I wanted to prove that by thinking outside the box a bit it was possible to shop and dress sustainably in an affordable way, without having to compromise on style – and so A Sustainable Thread was born. 

What would you say is your signature style? 

I’m definitely still in the process of finding a signature style, but I’d probably describe the way I dress as sort of classic with a bit of vintage throw in. I like to mix masculine and feminine pieces together but generally I just tend to live in black skinny jeans and anything oversized like old vintage shirts, woolly jumpers and big coats.

What has been your favourite part of blogging so far? 

Having to write regularly in a less formal style – blogging is much more fun than writing essays! I love that my blog has a real purpose too, so it’s always lovely to hear that its working and I’ve managed to make people more aware or more interested in sustainable fashion.

Why do you think it’s important for students to wear sustainable fashion? 

Firstly, for environmental and ethical reasons; I think everyone should be aware of where and how their clothes are made. Secondly, for us economically minded students, it’s actually cheaper in the long run to invest in better quality pieces than to constantly succumb to the cheap stuff. Also, as the next generation going out into the world, students are the ones that will be able to make a real difference. We need to change the mind-set that people have towards their clothes and encourage longevity rather than disposability.  

Are there any tips you could give to a budding eco-fashionista in Nottingham? 

Avoid impulse buys and instead try and shop with purpose, think how versatile pieces will be and how they might work with what you already own. Nottingham has great vintage and second-hand shops, see if you can find what you’re looking for there and recycle someone else’s unwanted clothes. Also, never throw old clothes away! Either donate them to a charity shop or take them to a local recycling branch. There’s actually one in Lenton – 198 Ilkeston Road! 

How would you like to progress as a blogger after your degree? 

I really want to try and pursue a career in sustainable fashion so I will definitely be keeping my blog up as I learn more about the industry and continue using it as a way to spread awareness. 

Finally, who would you say is your style inspiration?

I tend to find inspiration in specific outfits rather than with a person’s style, I’m always looking out to see how people have put things together, both in day to day life but also on Instagram and Pinterest. Having said that, I did feature British model Laura Mullen on my blog a while ago as I really like her style, a good mix of vintage and playful classics.

Check out Rachael’s blog here – http://asustainablethread.blogspot.co.uk

Edited by Sheetal Mistry
Clare Evans

Nottingham

Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.