Pros and Cons of Going Away With University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Thinking of going on tour with the University during your time here? Want to know the positives and negatives of a trip abroad with the University? You’ve come to the right place! Having recently spent a weekend in Amsterdam with the English and CivEng Societies, here’s the low-down of all of the pros and cons.

Positives:

You get to spend a weekend away with some of your best University friends! It can be really tricky to organise a group holiday away with friends, especially if you have different schedules over the summer. Going abroad whilst at Uni is a great way to combat this by having it all organised for you!

You have pre-arranged events (BAR CRAWL!!)Trying to spend a night on the town is tricky in a place you’ve never visited before. Going away with Uni means that you have pre-arranged activities, such as bar crawls planned so you don’t have to worry about planning what you’re going to do when you get to your destination.

Negatives:

The journey there

This was by far my biggest negative; a 12 hour coach journey each way. Yikes! If you’re not prepared for the cheapest journey option then going abroad as a group isn’t for you. Bring lots of snacks, films to watch and definitely a pillow!

You’re only away for a short amount of timeBecause of the long journey-time, our amount of time in Amsterdam was considerably short. This meant that we had to cram in loads of cultural touristy-related activities in order to feel like we’d experienced the city. If you like to take your time and explore at a slow pace, then the University trip might not be for you!

All considered, I’m really glad I went away with the University. Being a third year, I felt like it was a ‘rite of passage’ that I had to be a part of before I graduated (sobs). So, if you can put up with the journey, go for it and experience a trip abroad with the University!

Sources:

https://invasion.com/

http://www.newparistours.com/useful-links/amsterdam.html

Edited by Katie Randall 

Current second-year English and History Student. Aspiring journalist, avid tea-drinker.