Preview: Mowbeck to Take to the Stage at The Bodega

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Having played the BBC Introducing Stage at Reading and Leeds festival this year, Mowbeck, formed of Andy, Phil, Lee and Finn are taking to the stage at The Bodega on the 19thNovember. This is their first headline gig in Nottingham and is bound to be special. I spoke lead singer of Mowbeck, Andy about the movements of the band and how things are going with them.

How would you describe your music genre? We call ourselves ‘Grit-pop’ when people ask what we sound like. We aim to write big songs and dress them up in our own style of rock n roll.

Talk about is the title track of your EP- can you give us some idea of what it is about? I wrote Talk about about an abusive relationship that someone I knew was involved with. The weird thing with mental and sexual abuse is that it’s not always physical and its really easy to dismiss or overlook. The concept of the song was of me trying to tell the victim that they needed to get out of a relationship themed with this abuse. Most of my songs are usually based on real events that have affected me or people that I’m close to.

How did you feel the release of the EP went? We were (and still are) really grateful for all the love that our supporters have shown the EP. We wanted it to be a taste of the direction we were going in and I think we’ve really achieved something and stood out from the rest of the bands in our scene with some of the ideas on it. We played a really cool show at the London Social last month and to have people singing back the words to every track was ridiculous. It was such an honouring feeling.

How did it feel to perform at Reading and Leeds? We’ve all been going to R&L as punters since we were teenagers so to be asked to play was such a crazy thing. It’s such a great festival and to have the challenge of making new fans out of such a big crowd that have never heard you or your music before was something we absolutely loved.

Have you got anything exciting planned for your headline show at the Bodega in November? It’s going to be our longest set yet. We’ve been writing and re-writing a lot of new material recently so we’re hoping to showcase that for the first time. We’re hoping for some big singalongs too so it should be a great night.

You can check out Mowbeck’s live performance of ‘Talk about’ at Reading and Leeds here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fogHDoZcz_o . If you’re into live music and looking for a good band who are different from those in the charts today, then I couldn’t recommend coming to see Mowbeck more! They are an awesome live band and they are so unique to the industry that they are in. Tickets for their gig are available from http://www.alttickets.com/mowbeck-the-bodega-2016-11-19-19-00!

Edited by: Jess Greaney

Sources: 

www.facebook.com/cmrmedia

http://celebmix.com/interview-grit-pop-band-mowbeck/

19. History Undergraduate at UoN. Lover of live music.
Immy Hibberd

Nottingham