This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

As Shakespeare famously said: ‘if music be the food of love, play on…’. The truth is, even if you have the perfect date planned- you’ve actually tidied your room for once, the popcorn is ready, and the movie is ready to go, you’re still missing that one vital element to add the extra bit of romance to your night: the music! Love songs are the perfect way to help create that romantic atmosphere and maybe even help you tell your date how you feel about them if you’re getting the jitters! So here are the top eight love songs you need to add to your date playlist right now:

1) Perfect- Ed Sheeran

Let’s be honest, pretty much any song by Ed Sheeran is enough to make you swoon. With his ridiculously romantic lyrics and lovely voice, let Ed do all the work for you!

2) Can’t Help Falling in Love- Elvis Presley

Even though this song might be from 1961, you can’t deny its timeless feel and it’s certainly one of the most romantic songs out there. If your partner has a fondness for older music, you’re also ticking that off!

3) Make You Feel My Love- Adele

Again, Adele is one of those artists who can convey so much emotion in her voice that pretty much any song sounds romantic! However, a lot of her music is also very sad, so make sure you don’t play too many sad songs and end up ruining the mood you’ve so carefully created.

4) Halo- Beyoncé

Not only is this a beautiful song, but you can always count on Queen B to give you a burst of confidence if you need it!

5) How Long Will I Love You- Ellie Goulding

This romantic ballad will be perfect to have on in the background as you enjoy your date together, and with the mushy lyrics, your date won’t be able to mistake how you feel for them!

6) Die for You- The Weekend

It might get a bit overwhelming if your date playlist consists entirely of mushy ballads- you don’t want to scare your date away! Therefore, it’s important to mix it up a bit with artists like The Weekend or Khalid, to give the mood a little burst of energy.

7) Chasing Cars- Snow Patrol

Surely this is one of the world’s most iconic modern love songs? If nothing else, it’s great to sing along to, because everyone knows the words!

8) My Type- Saint Motel

If all the slow songs are getting a bit much here is a certified bop that will also get you in the mood for romance- and for dancing!

Edited by Angelica Beier

Image Sources

Thumbnail

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!