Part Time Work: How to Avoid the Bank of Mum And Dad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Every student soon comes to the realisation that funding their oh-so-luxurious student lifestyle will get a little difficult. After paying all your bills and doing your weekly food shop, there’s nothing more disheartening than looking into your purse and seeing those few coppers that you’ll have to live on for the rest of the week. However, rather than moping over a bowl of cheap ramen, you could be earning yourself a few extra bucks by working part-time.

As many students have to be at uni every weekday, it’s important to find a job that doesn’t clash with lectures. I highly doubt that your lecturer will appreciate you trailing in late after a night shift at Asda.  In fact, I’d recommend that you opt for a weekend job where you can start early, and finish early enough so that you’re able to go out with friends or complete your uni work. Remember, you also need time to yourself, so try not to work every time you’re free!

Having trouble finding part-time work? Take a deep breath. No, you don’t smell, it’s not personal. It could just be that your CV needs a little makeover. Employers love applicants with experience, so get volunteering or look around for some work experience. Start brushing up on those skills and developing your confidence in the working world. It’s unlikely that you’ll get paid for volunteering or work experience but trust me, your future self will thank you for it. Also, it’s helpful to ensure that your CV has no spelling mistakes and you’ve used the best grammar possible as spelling mistakes and poor grammar can be off-putting to some employers.

If you’re feeling spoilt for choice and can’t decide on the type of part-time job to apply for, try considering the skills and interests you already have. Do you enjoy preparing food or serving it? Are you interested in fashion retail? Are you good at talking to new people? You don’t want to end up in a job that you don’t enjoy or feel enthusiastic about as it’s likely that this could affect your work performance and your overall well-being. Also, don’t panic too much about being an expert at your job as you will receive the relevant training you need in order to function in that particular work environment.

So, before you think about making another withdrawal out of The Bank of Mum and Dad, try searching for a few jobs online. You could even drop your CV off at few places, so keep an eye out for any vacancy signs on shop doors. Don’t lose hope if you haven’t been contacted yet. Nottingham is a big place with several businesses needing vacancies filled. As long as you search and apply for jobs regularly and keep your CV updated, then you’re likely to find that dream part-time job.

Image Sources

http://studylink.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/workparttimestudent.jpg

Edited by Georgina Varley

My name is Sarah, and I'm a blogger for Her Campus Nottingham University
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!