Nottingham Arrows Cheerleaders: Behind the Pretty Faces and Cute Looks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

They fly high in the sky like real super girls, they do not need crowns because they wear bows and they are living proof of how durable and strong physically and mentally any woman can be. They are the Nottingham Arrows and are a true embodiment of discipline, dedication and charm.

In this interview, I talked to two charming cheerleaders from the team, established in 2014 and still going strong today. What are the most ridiculous misconceptions that popular culture promotes about cheerleading? What are the challenges of the sport? And why it is worth choosing the Nottingham Arrows over other cheerleading teams? Pia and Sanna reveal it all. 

So, what are the must-have skills you look for in a potential member of the team?

Pia: We don’t look for specific skills such as being able to tumble or do the splits. Although it might be helpful if you have cheer, dancing or gymnastics experience, it is not a requirement. However, what we look for is someone who is enthusiastic, ready to commit, open to trying new activities, enjoys working in a team and communicating with people. We also strongly encourage boys to join us as well, especially if they weightlift, it would be very helpful when lifting the flyer up in the air, for example. Essentially, anyone is welcome!

What does a typical training routine look like?

Sanna: We start the session with a warmup and stretch, then we go into practising stunts. They are the more challenging side of cheer and involve throwing people in the air, lifting them properly. There are about 4-5 people in a stunt group and each one of them focuses on whatever they struggle with. Afterwards, we go through gymnastics or dance, depending on how the session is going for everyone.

How often do you have performances or compete?

Pia: It varies on what the team can do and how comfortable we are with performing and stunting. For example, this year many of the members did not have any experience beforehand, so we started from scratch which is why we have done only one national competition. Besides, most competitions are held in different cities, all over the UK and this is a factor as well. Yet, we are performing at a sports event soon!

How does Nottingham Arrows stand out from other cheerleading teams?

Pia: I think one of our biggest achievements is that we are an independent team, not affiliated with a university but still, have kept going for 5 years without any financial help. Besides, we are all quite young, mainly 18, 19, 20, and especially this year, all of the committee members are in their final year at university which could be really stressful to handle university and cheer at the same time. I think it just shows how you can build up something out of nothing. 

Sanna: In addition, most of the teams are funded, hence why they have the means of buying more expensive uniforms, attending every single competition and it is easier for them to survive as a group. The university cheerleading clubs, for instance, do not have to rent out space to practise because it is already given to them – the David Ross Sports Centre, for example. Whereas we do not have that, so we have to put ourselves into it to keep going but it is exactly what makes our club outstanding and impressive.

The series of films ‘Bring It On’ portrays a certain image of cheerleaders. To what extent do you think they are realistic and do they shape any misconceptions about cheerleaders nowadays?

Sanna: I think such films show cheerleaders to be quite gossipy and against each other. Although it is a very competitive environment, it is also quite supportive at the same time. Even when you mix with other teams at competitions, they are quite nice and encouraging instead of judging you. And this is a massive difference. Another misconception is that we are just standing there with pompoms and jumping around in a cute way. However, we do not use pompoms at all. Instead, we throw people in the air, lift them which essentially is a lot of strength-based activities and by the end of the routine, you feel exhausted, sweaty and knackered. 

Pia: Exactly. A lot of people think it is a very girly sport and that we are just really cute and good at dancing but it is not like that. On the contrary, it is a lot about muscle strength, stamina, being resistant, working together in a team and last but not least it takes a lot of will power as well in order to move forward. In fact, cheerleading is such an inclusive sport, both boys and girl can do it which is one of the messages we want to get across as well. Boys do not have to be flexible to practise cheer, enjoying weightlifting or powerlifting is more than enough! 

Why should future cheerleaders choose Nottingham Arrows?

Pia: I believe the cost is definitely a factor. Our team is a lot cheaper because for the UoN one, on the top of the cheerleading membership, you also have to pay for the sports membership which is over £200. Because of that, we try to keep the cost very low which is also why we train only once or twice per week because if we do it more, we will have to pay for a rental room additionally where we can stunt. Another advantage is that you literally do not need any previous experience to join us – we start from scratch, with the most basic stunts and our club is more suitable for people who want to try something new or just give it a go, but might not be sure if cheerleading is their thing.

Sanna: Moreover, our team is more open to people of different abilities, more willing to take them and build them up, teach them new skills regardless of their experience. Whereas in other cheer teams, it is harder to join and start from scratch, especially at our age. People from other teams have been doing cheerleading since they were really young and at Nottingham Arrows this is not that crucial.

Like most things, cheerleading is not what it seems to be, right? It is more than beautiful faces, pompoms and aesthetically presented dance movements. So let’s wish Nottingham Arrows to continue to be so committed, inspiring, supportive to each other, and develop the team only up and forwards!

And until then, if you feel inspired to become part of the charming Arrows squad, check them on social media and don’t be afraid to drop them a message:

https://www.facebook.com/nottinghamarrows/

https://www.instagram.com/nottinghamarrows/

or email: nottingham_arrows@outlook.com

Images from Nottingham Arrows Cheerleading on Facebook

Martina is currently in her third year at the University of Nottingham, doing International Media and Communications Studies. An aspiring journalist and passionate about writing, Martina likes contemplating about life, talking about travel, gym, sports, healthy lifestyle. Her aim is to challenge your mindset, make you think about meaningful issues and broaden your horizons as far as possible. Hopefully, she achieved it with the article you just read... or if not, hopefully at least you enjoyed it!