The New Must Have Albums This Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

First things first… welcome back to Notts! I bet that, like me, the summer absolutely flew by and now we’re all having to get back into the swing of work…yay. Well I have some newly released albums to recommend to either accompany you on the trek from Lenton to uni at half 8 on a Monday or help you wade through that pile of work that is already forming.

1. Nothing Was The Same, Drake

Now those who know me are very aware of my love for this man, but I honestly would recommend this album to anyone, even if his previous stuff isn’t really your thing. It is, in my opinion, his best album yet. Do not be put off if you have just heard ‘Started From The Bottom’ which I do admit is extremely repetitive. There are plenty of gems on the album that have not been released. The whole album is varied in genre and pace, from ‘From Time, ’such a good chill out song, with beautiful vocals from Jhené Aiko, to the upbeat ‘Tuscan Leather’. Also, vocal appearances from Jay Z and Sampha from SBTRKT mean there is something for everyone. I have played it to death and still am not sick of it. Give it a go!

1. AM, Arctic Monkeys

The return of this truly great British Band has been long awaited and they have not disappointed. The opening guitar of the first track ‘Do I Wanna Know’ instantly says that this album is going to be a powerful one and that they are back with a bang. It has their same identifiable sound with Alex Turner fronting the band with that Northern accent, but the whole album has a bit more of a grown up feel about it. Like Drake, the album is extremely varied with some rocky pieces like ‘R U Mine’ alongside some beautiful slower songs like ‘No. 1 Party Anthem’, but all the songs have one thing in common which is that they are unbelievably catchy. 

1. Tattoos, Jason Derulo

Now many of you may turn your nose up at Jason Derulo but there is no denying his ability to bring out a classic R&B/Pop album-or his vocal ability and range! No doubt you will have heard the absolute bangers that are ‘The Other Side’ and ‘Talk Dirty’, but they are not all this repetitive and ‘poppy’. ‘Vertigo’ features his current girlfriend Jordin Sparks and is such a lovely song, and both of their vocals can’t be ignored. Also if he doesn’t release ‘Tattoos’ I will be amazed, the catchiness is ridiculous.

4. Days Are Gone, Haim

If I had to choose one album to urge you to buy right now it would have to be Haim’s debut album. Every single song is a masterpiece. The vocals are so distinctive, the beat is always strong and catchy and it will never get old. It also has quite an 80s vibe to it which, as a Huey Lewis and the News and Phil Collins (and everything 80s) fan, is a very good thing. ‘The Wire’ and ‘My Song 5’ are particular favourites of mine and there simply isn’t anyone else around like them at the moment.

Edited by Caroline Chan

Esme Dee

Nottingham

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!