Emily in Paris. (L to R) Lily Collins as Emily, Ashley Park as Mindy in episode 209 of Emily in Paris
Photo by Stéphanie Branchu/Netflix
Style > Fashion

Netflix is Your New Source of Fashion Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Deciding what to wear every day can be draining. If you’re like me, Pinterest may be your main point of call when looking for new fashion inspiration. But your best source of originality when you’re in a style slump may be staring right in front of you. Literally. Your Netflix home page is crying out to you.

With the extensive range of shows Netflix has to offer, there will definitely be a show that stimulates the creativity in your brain to get you excited about fashion again. Watching movies and tv shows for inspiration can be a fun way to find a use for the many clothes that we just can’t seem to style.

Starting with a fan favourite, Gossip Girl experimented with naughties maximalism. Fashion became an integral part of the characters’ lives, the characters adding personal touches such as tights, handbags and extravagant jewelry to their preppy chic uniforms. Outside of the classroom, the cast sported an array of impressive formal clothing and overindulgent early 2000s accessories whilst sipping martinis at hotel bars. Although designer clothing was often used, the actual formation of the outfits could easily be replicated using items that we have in our own wardrobes, for example layering shirts under jumpers or blazers to create a sophisticated vibe or adding broaches and headbands to delve into the preppy aesthetic.

Friends made its stylish mark in the 90’s and is an overall feel-good show to binge watch. Many iconic outfits have come from Friends, with Rachel, Monica and Phoebe projecting their different sense of styles in the show. Rachel Green is often viewed as a fashion icon for many, wearing turtlenecks, plaid skirts, knee high socks and chunky black shoes which have been trending items in 2021 and 2022. As the show follows a supposedly normal group of friends, the clothes shown are realistic for daily life and are accessible to many. Look to friends for slip dresses, baby tees and matchy matchy tailoring.

For those who are looking to experiment with bright colours and patterns, Emily in Paris could be the show for you. With a cheesy and nonsensical plot line that makes you question why you can’t stop watching, there are a variety of iconic looks worn by many of the characters. In particular, I love the vibe of Camille’s model- off duty look, where everything she wears is classy without giving off the vibe that she’s trying too hard. This can be replicated with items we have in our own closets, using bold colours and basic pieces matched with patterns, statement handbags or different types of hats like berets or baker boy caps. Emily’s range of quirky looks can be an acquired taste but is a great character to look for when adopting a more playful aesthetic whilst owning the girl boss office attire.

Using iconic retro pieces inspired by the 1960’s, the Queens Gambit makes chess seem fashionable. If you are looking to try nostalgic fashion aesthetics, the character Beth Harmon is the perfect inspiration as her outfits express a refreshing youthfulness to the elegant trends of the decade. Utilizing minimalistic and neutral tones, the later episodes in the series will have you wanting to replicate the Prada-like aesthetic, honing symmetry, geometric prints, colour blocking and a muted colour palette, all whilst being entertained by the chess wizards’ dramas.

A series that absolutely dominated tv binge watchers all over the world, Bridgerton promises the regency of the Georgian period. Despite us not feeling the need to walk into our university lectures in an intricate floor length ball-gown, the 7,500 costume pieces for the show can spark some inspiration. I could see dainty corset tops, lacy gloves, and of course pastel blues and yellows based on Daphne Bridgerton and the Featherington family trending into spring and summer 2022, adding some elegance to our wardrobes.See how easy it is to embrace the iconic looks of each era of Netflix shows? The next time you sit back and decide to binge-watch, make a mental note of the characters outfits you like the most as you may have all the necessary tools to recreate the aesthetic yourself without having to spend your hard-earned money!

Roisin Teeling

Nottingham '23

I am a third year English student at UoN who loves reading the different articles Her Campus has to offer! I am happy to be part of a network of women who support and empower each other through our writing.