Weekly Hero image used of Quebec
Weekly Hero image used of Quebec
Karolina Kaluza (year abroad Blogger)

My Year Abroad: #7 Keeping Busy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

When there are mounds of snow twice as tall as you in the street, the temperature wavers around -14 degrees Celsius, and you’ve managed to master the art of surviving snow storms by drinking hot chocolate and refusing to leave the house (even to empty the recycling bin lest you might be swept away in a gust), the question that remains is what do you do now? 

So, how can one keep busy in these long, cold winter months? Fear not dear readers, for I bring you answers and real life examples of my winter activities in rural Canada throughout January and February.

1. Cross Country Skiing 

A few weeks ago I tried this winter sport for the first time. I went to Club Sportif Les Appalaches in L’Islet with one of the English teachers at my school and her sons. In cross country skiing you follow a track and use your own body weight to move, slide and ski along. It was very fun despite all the falls. Tip: bend your knees and lean forward when going down hills! You pick up so much speed even if the ground is only at a slight downhill angle.

2. Crochet 

On a Wednesday night, you can find me in a little room above the train station in town (sidenote: the train comes only once or twice a day), with the Cercle de Fermières (Farmer’s Circle) attempting to learn a new handicraft. Crochet is supposedly easy (perhaps if your teacher is speaking in your first language and without a thick Quebecois accent) and the result vaguely resembles lace. You use a little hook to loop yarn into table decorations, bags, chunky blankets, you name it. It’s very relaxing and I must say I’m getting better and better with each session!

3. La Fête d’hiver

An event about two towns up from me in Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, La Fête d’hiver celebrates snow and ice sculptures and there are people from all around the world, including France, Mexico, Montenegro and more, who take part in the competition. With the temperature dropping to -18 degrees Celsius on the evening that I went, taking pictures of the sculptures became an extreme sport as within a minute you wouldn’t be able to feel your hand from the cold! Fortunately, you could warm up by dancing and having a drink or two at the ice bar!

4. Thursday Night Improv 

The first time I went to an Improv night was back during my first month here in Quebec. I remember that I only understood one of the jokes and the performances lasted 2 hours… However, last week I could understand almost all that was said and enjoyed the night even more. For those of you who are learning a second language and fancy a challenge, I would recommend watching some improvisations. Not only do you have to understand the humour and jokes in your target language, but the sketches are also incredibly random, props are limited and so the context clues are not as obvious as in real life situations or in TV shows and films.

The takeaway…

The evenings are long, the weather is cold and although the easiest and most obvious plan may be to stay in and watch Netflix; it’s important to try and find reasons to leave the house and have a go at something new. There are so many options even out here in my tiny town in rural Canada; you just have to start looking and the opportunities will multiply and lead you to new people and adventures! 

Karolina Kaluza

Nottingham '21

I’m a third year student of English and French at the Univeristy of Nottingham. Currently, I'm on my year abroad in Quebec, Canada. For more, follow ig @yearabroadblonde!
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.