This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

In my last article, I touched a bit on ways to deal with homesickness on your year abroad. This week, I’d like to expand on that further by describing some extracurricular clubs and activities I’ve involved myself in to keep busy and make new friends!

Even though it might not be your natural instinct to step out of the door and put yourself outside of your comfort zone (especially in a totally unfamiliar place with a language that isn’t your native!), I cannot stress enough how important it is to do so. You have so much to gain! By trying new things and meeting new people, you’ll open doors to meet even more people and be invited to even more things! So even if you don’t enjoy the first activity, it will most definitely lead to something you do like. And remember, you don’t have to be good to get started, but you have to get started to be good…

The previous sentence is what I was repeating to myself as I agreed to try a Swing dancing class last Thursday. With more or less zero dancing experience (depending on whether you count my nights out on the Crisis dancefloor), I decided to just see how it goes and I really did have a great time.

So, what kind of dance style was it?

It was called Swing Rockabilly Jive. A style from the swing family, consisting of a simplified basic 4 beat step to 1950s music. It’s dynamic, it’s lively and it’s very fun. It’s basically dancing with a partner to fast Elvis Presely style songs!

Where was my dance class?

The evening took place from 8pm-11pm at La Baleine Endiablée (The Crazy Whale) in Rivière-Ouelle. A mix of a microbrewery and youth hostel, with very tasty raspberry beer on offer!

Who was there?

There was a mix of people of different ages, both men and women, and both younger adults as well as some older couples – and everyone else in between! It so happened that another UK assistant who is stationed in Matane (further East along the river than my town) was visiting me for the night and we went together. I was invited by a girl that goes to Cegep here in La Pocatiere that I had met at a party after an Improv evening I went to. She was going with a few of her friends, so we had a nice group of about 11 of us there! Also, one of the teachers I work with (the one who teaches me to cook), was there with her friends too. I really felt a part of the community, being surrounded by both many familiar as well as new faces! 

Would I do it again?

Without a doubt! And not only because my dancing could use a few more tips from the instructors… It genuinely was a very enjoyable, funny experience with an unbeatable atmosphere!

Karolina Kaluza

Nottingham '21

I’m a third year student of English and French at the Univeristy of Nottingham. Currently, I'm on my year abroad in Quebec, Canada. For more, follow ig @yearabroadblonde!
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.