The Queen's Gambit series poster
The Queen's Gambit series poster
Netflix

My Ultimate Binge-Worthy TV Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I’ll be honest, binging tv shows has been my comfort throughout the lockdowns. As much as I told myself I’d be productive, read, learn a new language…I basically became inseparable from Netflix. Out of the many shows I discovered, only a few really stuck in my mind as truly ‘binge-able.’ If you’re bored during this lockdown, give these shows a go!

Elite

I’ve started with this one as it’s my all-time favourite! I’ve re-watched this series at least 5 times, and it has successfully overtaken Friends as my go-to ‘comfort’ show. However, I will start by saying this show is Spanish, so if subtitles aren’t something you can get behind, you might have to miss this one out (although I still encourage you to try!). Elite is centred around several high school students, all with their own subplots that intertwine, and it really is captivating. I was worried I’d feel too old for the show having been out of school for 7 years, but I just fell right into the storyline. I’d probably say this is one of those shows where I’m SO invested in the characters, and I know everyone who has watched it feels the same. 10/10!

The Queen’s Gambit

A more recent release, The Queen’s Gambit follows the life of Beth, a child-prodigy of chess in the 1950s-60s. It felt refreshing to watch such a different story, and when they get into her older teen years the costume design is amazing. That 60s / 70s fashion is just beautiful, not to mention the general set design in her house. It’s a short series, with no confirmation of a second, but I like it that way. By the end, it achieved what it needed to and felt finished, and I always think it’s better to be left wanting more!

Rupaul’s Drag Race

Okay, this one is extremely nostalgic of last March for me. I’d just got back from uni to my dad’s, and my stepsister was obsessed with this show, so it was constantly on. It honestly gets you so hooked, (some series more than others), and it’s crazy to see the pure talent these drag queens have. Since then, I have watched series 3-12 twice over (once with my stepsister, then with my mum when I moved back there!). You don’t need to watch the series in order, I started at series 7. The best series to me would have to be either 9 or 12, but that is something up for debate amongst viewers!

Game of Thrones

Okay, if you haven’t already seen this one, you need to! Alongside Elite, it has made me emotionally invested in so many characters, and I’ve never felt the emotions I’ve felt watching this show in any other. When speaking to friends who haven’t watched this, they say they’re put off by the universal knowledge that the ending…sucked. And yeah, it did, but it shouldn’t mean you don’t get to enjoy the 7 series before it. It’s so intricate and watching it the second time over has made me pick up on so many examples of foreshadowing that you can only really appreciate the second time around. So, watch this one twice!

There are my top picks of binge-worthy shows to help you get through the (hopefully) last leg of lockdown. Binging a show can really help pass the time and moves your attention away from real life into a new world, which can be really therapeutic at a time like this.

So, give one (or all!) of these shows a go if you’re looking for a good escape!

Bethany smith

Nottingham '22

Hi! I'm a masters Marketing student at the University of Nottingham. I have just completed my undergraduate course in Hispanic Studies where I went on an amazing year abroad in Lisbon ad Lima!