Life > Experiences

MPs Back the Proposal for “Buffer Zones” Outside Abortion Clinics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Trigger Warning – Talk of abortion

Earlier this year, MPs backed the proposal to enforce a 150-metre buffer zone around abortion clinics in England and Wales. Under this law, it would be illegal to obstruct or harass women attending abortion clinics and would be punishable with up to six months in jail. Abortion-specific harassment can include filming women, displaying graphic signs and material, and approaching doctors or women using the clinics.

Labour MP Stella Creasy, who introduced the amendment, emphasised that half the women who access abortion services -around 100,000 women per year- are victims of targeted action by anti-abortion groups. Creasy stated: “It does not stop free speech on abortion. It does not stop people protesting. It simply says you shouldn’t have the right to do this in the face of somebody – and very often these people are right up in front of people.”

Parliament voted by 297 to 110 in favour of the amendment, however the bill still has many stages to pass through before it becomes a law, which includes examination in the House of Lords. Currently, police and local authorities can set up buffer zones in response to complaints of harassment, however as the proposal is not yet a law, they face legal challenges from pro-life protestors.

Maria Caulfied, Conservative MP for Lewes who was appointed the UK’s Minister for Women by Rishi Sunak, has defended her decision to vote against the amendment. She said that the “definition of harassment is open to interpretation” and some protestors outside abortion clinics may be “offering [people using the clinics] some comfort”. Caulfield also voted in favour of cutting the 24-week abortion limit, voted against the legalisation of abortion in Northern Ireland, and previously sat on the all-party pro-life group.

This has led many to be concerned about her position as the Minister for Women, with the Shadow Secretary of State for Women and Equalities in the UK tweeting: “Deeply troubling that Rishi Sunak has appointed a Minister for Women who supports limiting women’s rights to abortion.”

Pro-life campaigners have been defending their right to stand outside abortion clinics by highlighting the occasions where people entering the facilities have changed their mind once they knew support was available. They have pointed to the case of Alina Dulgheriu, leader of the ‘Be Here For Me’ campaign, a group who are against the buffer zones policy.

The Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health (FSRH) made a statement on their beliefs, saying: “This harassment takes many forms and causes great distress. It also makes it difficult, and demoralising, for healthcare professionals to deliver essential, legal healthcare.”

“Privacy must be protected as much as possible when people access abortion services and all staff working to provide these services should have the right to work without judgement, intimidation, or fear. Current legal protection fails to do this.”

They stated that they are calling on the Home Office and devolved Governments to bring forward national legislation to protect people accessing abortion services and the healthcare professionals who are providing their care.

Sophie Robinson

Nottingham '23

Hi, I am currently a third year English student and look forward to writing articles for Her Campus :)