Photo of Nottingham University Campus used in our weekly Meet The Team content
Aleena Rupani
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

We’re back again!

Each week we will be introducing you to a member of our team with our series #MeetTheTeamMonday. This week, Jess is answering some questions…

Photo of Jessica Smith
Jess Smith

Hey Jess! What year are you in and what are you studying at the University of Nottingham?

I’m a second year Sociology BA student.

What is your position at Her Campus Nottingham this year?

This is my first year writing for Her Campus Nottingham and I currently hold the position as a Blogger. I love it!

What do you like about Her Campus Nottingham?

I think the creative freedom Her Campus Nottingham allows is what drew me towards applying to be a part of the team. I love that I can spend one week focusing on important issues like politics, to then go back to reviewing my favourite coffee shop in Nottingham the next. It’s all about that balance.

What has university taught you?

That being yourself is the best thing you can do, and when you realise that, that’s when you’ll start having a good time. Plus, I also realised that coffee is my favourite drink, like ever.

Where are you originally from?

I’m actually from Manchester! I love my hometown through and through, and I didn’t really realise how much until I moved away. Definitely visit if you get the chance, it’s such a joy of a place. It has the best food places ever, too.

Are you a dog or a cat person?

Definitely a cat person. Independent living and sleeps any time they can? My spirit animal, for sure.

What is the one thing you would tell your younger self?

Never stop writing. Your opinion always matters. Be nice to everyone, even if they’re not good to you – you never know what people are going through. Look after yourself more. Reading is cool. So is Doctor Who. Boys are gross. GCSEs don’t matter. You’ll be amazing, so stop worrying.

Jess Smith

Nottingham '21

2020/2021 Editor-in-Chief for HerCampus Nottingham. Aspiring Journalist, with a lot of love for all things bookish. Final Year Sociology student, with a primary interest in Gender Studies, Film Analysis & Mental Health!
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.