Meet our US Sister Chapter: Her Campus BC!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Her Campus Nottingham is in it’s second year now – but where did it all begin? In America! As part of an exciting new HC initiative, our Nottingham chapter has been partnered with a ‘sister chapter’ across the Atlantic Ocean. Say hello to the lovely team at HC Boston College!

Her Campus BC is just entering it’s fourth year, and is very well-known on campus – most of the BC students read their articles, and it has become a major tool for procrastination! The BC Campus Correspondents are seniors Meghan Gibbons and Kelsey Damassa. Meghan is from Voorhees, New Jersey (near Philadelphia) and is studying a double major in political science and communications. Kelsey is from Westport, Connecticut, a town not far from New York, and is studying a double major in english and communications. We at HC Nottingham were recently lucky enough to Skype both girls and find out about how a HC team runs in America, as well as what life is like for a university student in Boston!

How big is your HC team and how often to do you meet up?

Our team has grown substantially over the past year, and as of last week we have over 60 staffers across our editorial, photography, and publicity teams. We try to meet once a week (always with baked goods provided). Occasionally we will add in a special meeting or two if an event is coming up.

What sort of events/socials do you hold, and which has been your favourite so far?

As a team, we try to hold bonding events throughout the semester. This semester, we all took a trip to a local frozen yogurt shop. We also have planned a Wine and Cheese night, a tailgate before a football (American football) game and a movie night to de-stress during finals. As a club, we have had several big events in the past including a date auction and a fashion show, in which all of the proceeds go to a local charity. Last spring, we held a huge spring fashion show where the proceeds went to both Boston Marathon victims, as well as a local charity. This semester, we are planning a fitness event because BC girls are known to be obsessed with healthy living and staying fit. We plan to offer free classes and bring in a healthy living speaker or two.

Tell us about your dating culture.

At Boston College, there sadly is a lack of dating culture. Instead, we have what has become known as the “hook-up culture.”  Actual dates, such as going out to dinner, are very rare.  However, there are a good number of couples on campus that usually stay together for a long time.  BC Alumni have a reputation of marrying each other in the future, post-college.

Tell us about your drinking culture.

Drinking games and going out on the weekends is a huge part of college life. Most kids start off their weekend with Thirsty Thursdays, and occasionally throw in “Sunday Fundays.” Since the city of Boston is pretty strict about drinking, most parties are held on campus or in the area. The BC bar is Mary Ann’s (known to BC students as MA’s), and although it is very dingy and has been around for nearly 40 years, every BC student HAS to go there on their 21st birthday.

Do you have sororities/what do you think of the sorority system?

Since Boston College is a Jesuit university, we do not have any Greek Life. Many BC students find it silly and exclusive, but we all have many friends at other American colleges that devote their friendships to their “sisters” and create a close bond with their “bigs” and “littles.” Since we do not have Greek Life, we really get to know students from all clubs and backgrounds.  In nearly every friend circle, you will find a variety of different interests, and that creates a much better sense of community among all BC students.

Tell us a bit about a typical day in the life of a BC collegiate!

It is full of classes, a trip to The Chocolate Bar or Hillside for an iced coffee, a workout session or fitness class at the Plex and trying to hang out with as many friends as possible.

Describe your campus to us.

For those who visit BC, their reaction to campus usually is, “Your campus looks like Hogwarts!” Honestly, we are proud of the beauty of our campus. The majority of students (about 75%) live in dorms on campus (some are apartment styles for upperclassmen), but for those who live off campus they rent apartments or houses right around campus. It is great to have all your classes and dining halls on campus, but the city is only a short T (which is like the Metro) ride away.

What do you do for fun on a Friday night?

It depends on the weekend and how much work we have. But on a Friday night when midterms, papers, and presentations aren’t on the horizon, we definitely like to have a good time. Going out to dinner somewhere, either in the city or around campus, is a good start. Dinner is usually followed by a pre-game of some sort with friends before going to a party or out to a bar! However, there are definitely Friday nights spent in, watching movies, relaxing, and just taking it easy.

Do you have any weird or unusual societies at BC?

We don’t really have any weird societies, but some great BC Twitter accounts to follow are @BCGirlProblems, @BCMakeouts, @BCBananas, @BCTwerks, @TheBCBromo, and of course @HerCampusBC.

[pagebreak]

What is the most popular sport played on your campus?

Hockey is huge here on campus!! We have an amazing team that makes it very far each year. Two years ago our team won the National Championships. Although we do not have the best football team, football season is big and we have a huge Superfan section that goes to cheer on the team at every game.

What do Americans think of programmes such as Jersey Shore?

It really depends on who you are talking to. Some people love the Jersey Shore while others refuse to watch it because it is “garbage.” The same goes for other American reality TV shows like Keeping Up With The Kardashians and The Bachelor. I feel like you probably experience the same kind of reaction when it comes to Geordie Shore!

What do you think a typical British student does/is like?

Meghan: I think that British students are super stylish, knowledgeable in literature, and love the nightlife, especially in the city! You also have a cup of tea and talk about the Royal Couple every now and then, too.

Kelsey: I always think of British students as being very well-dressed and devoted to their studies (I am totally basing this off the one day I spent in Oxford…). Like Meghan said, they love a good cup of tea, but they also love heading out to the local pub and grabbing a beer or a cider.

What is the most interesting place to visit in Boston?

There are so many great places in Boston that we really can’t decide! Going to a Boston Red Sox baseball game and any of the bars around the Fenway ballpark is a lot of fun! If you are looking for somewhere to shop, Newbury Street has all the retail therapy you need. There is also so much history in Boston. There is the Freedom Trail, which is essentially a walking tour that stops at significant places in Boston from the American Revolution between the Freedom Trail, which follows significant places in Boston from the American Revolution. There is also Plymouth Plantation (think Plymouth Rock), located just outside of Boston. If you are craving Italian food, you’ve got to head to the North End, which feels like you are eating food straight from a kitchen in Italy.

If you could move to another American state, where would you go and why?

Meghan: I am from New Jersey, and after coming to school in Boston I never want to leave!

Kelsey: While I LOVE Boston, I am a California girl at heart. I totally plan on moving to California as soon as I graduate. Winter is just too darn cold for me.

Tell us a bit about your favourite American Holiday (4th July, Thanksgiving, Spring Break), e.g. what you do, favourite memories of a particular celebration etc.

Meghan: Thanksgiving by far! It is the first chance in the semester I really get to go home. To be surrounded by my family and to eat amazing food until I explode is amazing!!

Kelsey: I have to second Meghan on this one. Thanksgiving is one of the greatest inventions ever. Not only do I get to see my family for the first time since being back at school, but the food really is to die for. Give me some stuffing, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie and I am one happy camper. Plus, the Thanksgiving Day Parade by Macy’s is always lots of fun to watch!

If you could give HC Nottingham one piece of advice, what would it be?

Meghan: No event or article idea is too big!! If you propose it, get your team’s support and an interest of it from your campus then I would so go for it!!

Kelsey: Never be afraid to try something new with your chapter. Like Meghan said, no idea is ever too big or too unmanageable.

It was really amazing to speak with Meghan and Kelsey face to face and share information and ideas with them. Look out for further interviews with our sister CCs in Boston in the future!

Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!