This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Due to quarantine last year, I refound a love for reading that hadn’t been present in my life for a few years. I fell back in love with books, both fiction and non-fiction, and rediscovered how at peace I feel with a book in my hand. So I thought each month I would write my monthly reading wrap up, to help anyone wanting some reading inspiration during this time. 

This month I read 5 books, varying from all different topics and genres, so hopefully at least one of this book fits your desired reading interest:

1. The Humans – Matt Haig 

This unique story follows an alien who is sent to Earth from many moons away, in order to execute anyone who has come in contact with a newly discovered mathematical equation that could change human life forever. It follows the alien, firstly hating everything about humans; the emotions behind their actions, the morality of the species, for it to then discover the beauty of human life. It is such a different, unique concept but I loved it nonetheless. Plus, Matt Haig’s writing is always a win for me. 4/5

2. The Hating Game – Sally Thorne 

After watching my favourite ‘Booktuber’, Noelle Gallagher, for the longest time and hearing her rave about this Sally Thorne romance for the longest time, I thought it was time for me to pick it up and I regret nothing. The story follows two co-workers who constantly bicker and argue at work, with them both believing that the other hates them, but of course, that’s not the case. It’s a slow burn but in a very satisfying way, and it’s so well-written, and ultimately everything you want a romance novel to be! 5/5

3. Confessions of a Shopaholic – Sophie Kinsella 

The book follows a young woman in London, who loves to shop and gathers up so much debt, that it begins to impact her day-to-day life. It has a little romance and friendship, but it wasn’t the best book I’ve ever read. I did read this book because growing up the film adaptation was one of my favourite films, however- the book is nothing like the film and unfortunately, the film is definitely better in this case. 2/5

4. I hope this reaches her in time – R. H. Sin

This collection of poems is essentially a love letter written to women. It was a lovely read, and as I’m trying to bring in more poetry into my reading lists, it was definitely a good start. It was so romantically written, with so much love and passion behind the words. Plus it was a super quick read and very enjoyable despite it being over in around 45 minutes. 3/5

5. The Tempest – Shakespeare

Another Shakespeare play I just wanted to get off my bookshelf as it hasn’t been picked up since I bought it ultimately. It was an enjoyable read and quite a quick one, but I can’t say Shakespeare is someone I’ll be picking up again anytime soon from now. I’m definitely a contemporary reader, for sure. 3/5

Jess Smith

Nottingham '21

2020/2021 Editor-in-Chief for HerCampus Nottingham. Aspiring Journalist, with a lot of love for all things bookish. Final Year Sociology student, with a primary interest in Gender Studies, Film Analysis & Mental Health!