Malena Wong – Nottingham Blogger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

With so much going on, first year can be overwhelming. Malena Wong, a 2nd year English student, shares her experiences and gives us insight in to how having all of these opportunities shaped her first year at University of Nottingham. From blogging for the local community at Dunkirk and Lenton Forum to sharing her own mishaps in her personal blog, Malena shows how her first year in Nottingham was unforgettable! 

Why did you get involved with Dunkirk and Lenton Forum?

I’m an English major and have always wanted to go into PR/publicity after graduation. Having organized a number of fundraisers and campaigns at university, I thought I could start looking out for more prospects. So when the Forum offered this opportunity (via the School of English Placement Scheme), I jumped at it!

Can you tell us about some of the projects that students can get involved in within the Forum?

The Forum runs a number of activities for students and the community. The Tasty Tuesday Project offers free vegetarian dinners to the homeless on Tuesday evenings. Students can sign up to cook, serve and clean up! If anything, just take a look at their Facebook Page (link below). Other than that, the Forum is also responsible for the Green Corridor project. The idea is to create a safer and cleaner pathway that connects Radford and Lenton. Pedestrians and cyclists will majorly benefit from it. And the Forum is constantly looking for ideas to improve the provisional plan as after all, the Corridor is for the community. If you’re up for something more physical, the Forum organizes trip to clean the canal every month. It’s a great chance to mingle with the local community and give back a little to this blessed land! 

What sort of content do you have in your blog “Malena Cats”?

I literally write anything. From my first group interview experience to getting on the wrong bus to Derby. I write what’s on my mind basically. But I’m hoping to transition it to a more performing arts/theatre blog. I was working on a dance project over the summer that could go up on the blog too, so watch this space!

I saw that one of your last posts, “The Subtlety of Structural Violence”, had quite a feminist tone – what encouraged you to write this piece?

I volunteered at the British Conference of Undergraduate Research. Hundreds of undergrad students present their ideas/dissertations over hundreds of different topics. I was chairing a session where a speaker from (if I’m not wrong) University of Sheffield was talking about structural violence in society. It was the first time that I’ve come across this term, so I went home and looked it up online. Turned out there’s a lot more articles about this and the more I read the stronger I feel about anti-sexism. I can’t say I’m a feminist but definitely am anti-sexism.

You’re also involved with the Nottingham Advantage Award (NAA). Can you tell us what this is about and why students should get involved?

For me, NAA is a great chance for students like myself to develop transferable skills that could improve employability. I would definitely tell anyone to get involved. It’s free of charge and you’d learn beyond just textbook knowledge. I enrolled to the Save The Children Enterprise Module where our team designed a fundraiser. I gained hands-on experience with organizing an event and exclusive insights into the work of the third sector. But of course, there’s something more than just that. We had tons of amazing, even fantastical ideas, for the fundraiser. But in the end, we all know only one plan can work out and we had to ensure it is practical and live up to the name of the charity of course. So for me, it gave me event organizing experience which, like I have mentioned before, might help me with my future career. And thanks to that, I’m able to bring my fundraising experiences to the UNICEF on campus team this coming academic year.

As an international student and having finished first year, what advice would you give to new freshers?

Get hooked up to a few social media platforms – Facebook, Twitter etc. and find the university and careers team account. It’s all about the digital world now and it’s essential that freshers know where to get help for career advice. Grab every opportunity. I know we only have one fresher year but come on! Chance and opportunities are knocking. Being intoxicated all the time will mean you don’t hear those knocks.

Describe in 3 words your first year at University of Nottingham.

Hectic – I kept myself busy all year. Fulfilling – I failed and I learned from mistakes and found what I was good at. Short – first year went by in a blink of an eye so seize time seize your chance.

Check out Tasty Tuesdays Facebook pageMalena Cats and Dunkirk and Lenton Forum.

Edited by Sam Carey

Jenine Tudtud

Nottingham '17

Jenine is a fourth year American and Canadian Studies student at the University of Nottingham and is hoping to get a career in journalism or publishing. She is currently one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Nottingham! She has just returned from The College of New Jersey after spending the past year studying abroad. 
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!