Make-Up Tips From a Professional Make-Up Artist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I chatted to Nottingham make-up artist Charlotte Severn to get all of her secret tips and chat about her experience as an MUA. Charlotte is a fully qualified hair stylist and make-up artist and has worked on countless different projects including film, advertising, theatrical make-up, work with the NHS, Nottingham Fashion Week, special effects, as well as bridal make-up and special occasion make-up. It’s safe to say she knows her stuff!

What is your biggest make-up tip?

Always spend the longest time on your base. A well-primed, flawless base will help all of your other make-up to fall in to place and last longer.

Many of us struggle with false eyelashes. Do you have any tips?

Firstly, when removing the lashes from the packaging, be careful not to stretch them. Make sure the glue is tacky and don’t apply too much. Look down in to a mirror and apply the lashes with tweezers close to the lash line and press down for a few seconds. Finally, tight line with black eyeliner pencil to close the gap between your natural lashes and the false ones.

What is the secret to perfect liquid eyeliner?

Create a ‘dot-to-dot’ effect, draw some dots along the lid and then join them up. For the flick, make sure it is lined up to the end of your eyebrow. Try to keep the eye open and look down in to a mirror.

For special events, how do you make your make-up look good in flash photography?

Ensure that your foundation or loose powder doesn’t include titanium oxide or zinc oxide as these create flashback. Always be aware that any shimmer products will show up more so if you’re not a fan of this look, maybe stick to matte products.

Any skincare tips?

It sounds simple but always cleanse, tone and moisturise! Make sure you use a product that works for your skin type, different things work for different people. Using a separate night cream is great for moisturising, and always use an SPF – the sun is so damaging.

If you could only use one eye shadow palette for the rest of your life, which one would it be?

Difficult question! But the Too Faced Sweet Peach Palette, it has a nice mixture of everything.

What is your all time top product?

Kryolan shimmering event foundation, it creates that dewy glowy look for under make-up. L’Oreal True Match highlight or Make-Up Revolution Liquid Highlight are great alternatives to this.

What is your biggest achievement so far as an MUA?

I recently worked on the upcoming feature film Heart of Chaos doing special effects makeup alongside stuntmen from Transformers and Kingsman. This was so exciting as I now have a profile on IMDB!

What are your aspirations for the future?

I’d love to work for a magazine company. Or do the make-up for Strictly Come Dancing, I love all that glitter!

Finally, what do you love most about your job?

Every day is different, you get to travel and meet lots of different people. It’s great to make people feel good about themselves when you’ve done their makeup.

To contact Charlotte or look at more of her work, take a look on Instagram @charlotte7mua, Facebook: Charlotte Severn Make-Up Artist and Hair Stylist or email her char7mua@gmail.com.

Edited by Angelica Beier

Images all writer’s own

Josie Severn

Nottingham

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!