This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Unlike the incredibly hardworking people who have battled their way through work during all this mess, I, like most, have had the privilege of sitting at home, doing nothing but reading, watching TV shows and films, and completing an odd jigsaw here and there.

With little responsibilities, I have definitely found a way of filling up this time by trying to watch all the shows and read all the books which have been on my ‘to watch’ or ‘to read’ list – a list that is continuously loaded with more and more content. 

With this privilege of spare time, I’ve now discovered some of my favourite ever shows, films and books, so I thought it was only necessary for me to share! 

Film

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986): The funniest movie I’ve watched this entire lockdown. I’m unsure as to why I love this film so much, but it is just so teenaged. The plot is hilarious yet so simple and despite it being 34 years old, if you’re like me and haven’t watched it before, I would definitely recommend it!

A Simple Favor (2018): Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick are a power duo that I didn’t realise I needed. Blake Lively plays a mysterious, extremely stylish mother who takes Anna Kendrick’s character, a contrastingly overly-sensitive mother, under her wing… and some crazy things happen. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time, and the girl power in this film was sensational!

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961): A classic to so many, and understandably so, this romance film was simply wonderful  to watch. I fell in love with the characters, the story and everything else about the film. Unfortunately, I really did try to read the book first but couldn’t get past the first few pages after many attempts (controversial, I know!), but nonetheless, the film I love. 

TV Shows

Noughts & Crosses (2020): Based on the book series by Malorie Blackman, this BBC iPlayer series was one of the first shows I watched in lockdown, and I honestly fell in love. The characters are such an accurate portrayal of how I imagined Callum and Sephy all those years ago when I first read the book. I would recommend this show to anyone, it’s so beautifully produced and only 6 episodes long, so very easy to binge!

Normal People (2020): Another series based on an incredible book: ‘Normal People’ by Sally Rooney. This angsty, beautiful romance series was one of my firm “lockdown” favourites. I think most people jumped on this trend, which in itself speaks volumes. This again is on BBC iPlayer.

That 70’s Show (1998-2006): I’ve been watching this show since the beginning of the year, as it’s  8 seasons long with 25 episodes per season. Being in lockdown has definitely allowed me to spend days with it rolling on from one episode to the next. It’s a very nostalgic, ultimately cool show, with an incredible cast. It’s actually hilarious too and I’ve found myself becoming so invested in the characters. I haven’t finished this just yet, but I couldn’t leave it out as it seems to constantly be on in the background lately (it’s literally playing as I write this article…).

Books 

Reasons to Stay Alive – Matt Haig: This book is not just one of my favourite books of lockdown, but probably one of my favourite books ever. Haig speaks about his personal experience with depression and anxiety, as well as some amazing anecdotes such as ‘Things you shouldn’t say to a depressed person’ and the beautiful list at his end of his novel, ‘Reasons to stay alive’. I’d argue it’s a necessary read for anyone who is experiencing depression, who has experienced depression or knows someone who does. It encapsulates mental illness so well, and I literally couldn’t put it down. 

An Unwanted Guest – Shari Lapena: Lapena has slowly become one of my favourite authors over lockdown, having read three of her novels now. Her work is usually mystery… However, I really loved ‘An Unwanted Guest’ due to its Agatha Christie styled “whodunnit’ plot”. A group of people become stranded in an old hotel, with no power or connection to the outside world, and then someone is murdered. Its multiple narratives keep you so gripped and I literally read this book in one sitting, finishing at 2am because I honestly couldn’t put it down. I’d especially recommend this book but any of her other books are brilliant too. 

Of course, this list could be endless… second hand bookstores and Netflix really have become my best friends during this time. 

However, from this carefully selected list, I hope you find something else to do as the world slowly but surely, returns back to normal. 

Jess Smith

Nottingham '21

2020/2021 Editor-in-Chief for HerCampus Nottingham. Aspiring Journalist, with a lot of love for all things bookish. Final Year Sociology student, with a primary interest in Gender Studies, Film Analysis & Mental Health!
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.