free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Life and Loves of a Makeup Artist: Trishna Daswaney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Contouring or strobing? The verdict is out! We chatted to makeup artist Trishna Daswaney of Kohl Kreatives to discuss her business, favourite products and what to expect from the world of beauty in 2016. For a chance to learn from the pro herself, keep reading…

Trishna (third from right) and her team

Hi Trish! It’s been a while since Her Campus last spoke to you. What have you been up to with your business, Kohl Kreatives?

I’ve changed a lot of things. I’ve made things a lot more charity-focused, and that has been the main goal. My workshops are what I’m putting lots of effort in to at the minute. I help people through cosmetics: cancer patients (if they’ve lost brows, lashes, hair), people with birthmarks and anyone else who would like the aid of makeup to help them feel like themselves again. Obviously, not being a student any more has made a massive difference, and I can dedicate a lot more of my time to really pursuing this.

That sounds incredible. How have you found this new direction and establishing your new ventures?

It’s really rewarding. In terms of promotion, I find that when you talk to people in real life you can definitely read their reactions and see if they’re warming to the idea. Social media is totally different! You don’t get to see that reaction and instead have to put time and effort into the smallest, almost trivial details. The process needs so much time and effort put into it. However, I always stay true to the company and to myself in order to promote things.

What’s your day to day life like?

Manic! I dedicate every day to a different element of work, be it travelling or doing workshops. Once a week I go to London to work. I accept as many jobs as a can: editorials, campaigns, shoots, wedding makeup.

Wedding makeup! Being the makeup artist in that scenario has to be stressful…

The stress is kind of fun, even when the bridezilla comes out! It’s rewarding in the sense that your part of someone’s special day. You get to know them on a personal level. I love to chat to people and I enjoy putting together mood boards, doing trials… the whole process! One time I didn’t even get to do a trial: it takes a lot of trust to do that! It definitely gets interesting…

What’s it like being the makeup artist behind the editorials? What are your favourite looks to create?

I like to do very extreme makeup – I’m all about the creative. If someone can wear a bald cap and look fabulous with feathers and sequins, then I’m gonna do it. I once wrapped a person’s entire face in cellophane. I have to be willing to do crazy things. I did a series of images called ‘La Vie en Blue’ – the only thing that was consistent was the colour scheme. There were sequins on the model’s head, rhinestone lips and feather headpieces. There’s no trial: everybody’s time is limited and if things you wrong, you just have to fix it. You also have to be aware of how much more faded everything looks behind the camera. A subtly flush cheek has to look like a China doll’s in real life! Even if it’s a natural look, it has to be ten times more dramatic than what you see in the final image. Let’s talk about your personal favourites. What kind of skincare products do you go for?

I love using Lush masks: I use them every day! Most of them are gentle enough to use every day, and terms of skincare, I like to make an effort to avoid abrasive products. So many products are aggressive – you have to be mindful of what you’re putting on your skin. The mask I love is only available at the Oxford Street Lush store, and it’s called The Man in the Mushroom Mask: it’s amazing, and mushrooms are a powerful antioxidant but still gentle to the skin. Next I use a serum. Recently I’ve been liking Kiehl’s Clearly Corrective serum, but if you’re on a budget I’d recommend the Lush Full of Grace bar. Then I moisturise: I like La Roshe Posay Toleriane. It’s very gentle and a lot of dermatologists recommend it. My advice in searching for products that suit you is to try and get your hands on samples- don’t waste your money!

What are some of your favourite day to day makeup products?

I’m gonna open up my makeup bag now actually! I travelled to Paris the other day and this is what I took with me. For base, I like the MAC Face and Body foundation. It’s buildable and lightweight. Then I use the MAC Pro Longwear concealer, as I like a concealer that isn’t going to crease under my eyes. I like contour, but if you’re travelling, you don’t want something heavy. I love Benefit Hoola Bronzer. I love using MAC’s Mineralize Skin Finish to set my face, then Benefit Coralista blush. I have lash extensions so no need for mascara! I then have a thing for matte liquid lipsticks. I use Kohl Kreatives‘ own, which I’m currently working on. I like the Lime Crime ones too. I’ve definitely been more about the lip than the eyes recently!

Some people find matte liquid lipsticks hard to wear and apply. Do you have any tips?

Start small, away from the lip line, then fill out. I’d advise prepping your lips well too. Dr Lipp balms are great for hydrating to keep your lips in tip top form.

Is there a celeb whose makeup you would love to do?

That’s a good question! I love to help people with makeup: can I say the Towie crew? I could help them move away from their OTT lashes! Maybe Ellie Goulding too. I reckon she needs to shake up her look a little.

What makeup trends are you looking forward to in 2016? Will we move away from overdone brows and crazy contour?

Too right, people get a bit crazy with their eyebrows. I’m hoping we’ll go into a more untidy brow this year. Spring/summer 2016 looks a bit more unruly. Natural skin, undone hair. Everyone is after glowing skin, so it’s more about the highlight and the strobe than the contour. It’s just looking much more relaxed, with fun pops of colour. I’m excited.

Want to learn from a pro, brush up on your skills and get your hands on £60 worth of beauty products? Trishna is running a beauty workshop right on campus! The workshop will be 5-7pm, Wednesday 2nd March in the Sir Colin Campbell building on Jubilee campus. Tickets are £35. For more info and to purchase your ticket, contact Sophie at sophiedunne10@hotmail.com or call 07902832223.

To find out more about Kohl Kreatives, visit their website: http://www.kohlkreatives.co.uk/

Image sources:

http://mulpix.com/instagram/artist_agency_fashion_makeup.html + Trishna’s own

Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.