The Latest Makeup Trends for Lips and Lids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s easy to get stuck in a rut with your makeup routine, the smokey eye with nude lips is always going to be classic for a night out, and for good reason! However, if you’re up for expanding your makeup horizons this Spring, take some inspiration from the latest A-list events which feature some bold beauty trends everyone should try.

Orange is the New Red

Bright, matte orange lipstick has certainly been dominating the catwalk and the red carpet recently and proving just how flattering of a shade it can be.  Orange may be a brave step for all those stuck in the comfort zone of the standard reds and nudes but it is by no means too extravagant to try on a night out. In order to keep the focus on your vibrant lips and avoid clashing, make sure the rest of your makeup is toned down as demonstrated by the models from the Spring 2014 Fashion Week runways and Miranda Kerr at the Oscars. If you like what you see and are ready to revamp your look, I highly recommend Maybelline’s Colour Sensational Vivids Lipstick in Electric Orange (£7.19 at Boots).

Bright Blue for the Brave

Following on from the bright lips… are bright lids! For those of you willing to be more fun and daring with your makeup, bright blue eyeliner is your new best friend. This new trend definitely requires some confidence as it’s guaranteed to turn heads. For the Marc Jacobs models and Rita Ora, the blue eyeliner is certainly statement making and the central element of their makeup. But if subtlety is more your thing, the Zoe Jordan models look gorgeous with just a flash of electric blue on the inner corners of their otherwise neutral eyes. Whichever look you decide to go for, Bourjois’ Khol & Contour Eye Pencil in Bleu Epsiegle (£4.99 at Boots) will give you the pop of colour you’re looking for.

The White Eye

The white eye makeup trend is the perfect compromise if you want to try something new but are still a bit wary of bold colours. The fashion week girls and Rihanna demonstrate how versatile both white eyeshadow and eyeliner can be while instantly brightening your eyes and making you look all fairylike and ethereal. Use Bourjois’ Little Round Pot Eyeshadow in Blanc Diaphane (£6.99 at Boots) or Rimmel’s Soft Khol Kajal Eye Pencil (£2.99 at Boots) to achieve this look.

Or…

And finally, if like Cara Delevingne, you can’t decide which of the latest makeup trends to try first… just combine all three featured in this article, because why not.

Edited by Ili Mustafa
I'm a second year English Language and Literature student at the University of Nottingham who is worryingly obsessed with organising and could spend an entire day in Boots comparing makeup and beauty products. Aside from this... I love a good night out, green tea, dogs, artsy fartsy films, cooking and being overly competitive in board games.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!