Style > Beauty

Kohl Beauty and Cosmetics: More Than Just a Pretty Face

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” 

This is the philosophy Trishna Daswaney, owner and co-founder of the up-and-coming hair and beauty brand Kohl, lives by.

Through her make up tutorials, which have been held especially for Nottingham University students and societies, the Management student aims to not only provide the materials which enable one to create the look of a makeup guru (a contour kit, bronzer, eyeshadow pallet, eyeliner, brow pen, concealer and two cosmetic brushes for £20? Yes please!), but to also teach the skills necessary in order for you to achieve this look at home – ready for your favourite student night of the week.

In addition to this, there lies a deeper purpose: for the funds made from these workshops go towards the cosmetic recreation of features that are lost as a result of life threatening diseases; and the strenuous treatments that are endured.

She recalls watching My Sisters Keeper, a film about a teenage girl diagnosed with leukaemia, and the character’s insecurity which is highlighted due to her subsequent hair loss. Trishna developed the longing to help people to try and feel good in themselves in whatever way she can; where their reflection in the mirror can bring a small light to what can feel like an ever-growing dark cloud. 

So, to find out more about this innovative programme, I went along to Jubilee Campus for an intimate girly evening where I was met with an admittedly excitable array of makeup selections: ranging brands such as MUA, BeautyUK, W7 and Superdrug’s own brand.

Like many girls with a small budget and a limited imagination, I admittedly wear pretty much the same makeup every day (or winged eyeliner if I’m feeling daring), for I have always felt too amateur to be able to carry off the full-blown smokey eyed, and sculptured contoured demeanour. 

But, after Trishnas’ thoroughly designed step-by-step guide to the techniques and tricks of the flawless, yet surprisingly achievable, look, I can definitely say I now have a new makeup routine to add to my limited selection. 

So, if donating to a very special and important cause isn’t a good enough reason to come along to the next Kohl makeup tutorial; the event is a great opportunity to branch out with your makeup palette; or to simply be able to compare and exchange techniques with fellow Nottingham makeup enthusiasts.

Image source:

http://kohlkreatives.co.uk/

Edited by Harriet Dunlea

Anna Vujicic

Nottingham

Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.