Jodie: Rugby’s Social Secretary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

We caught up with UoN’s Girls Rugby Social Sec Jodie, who shares with us her favourite drinking games, maddest Crisis nights, and the experience of being an exec.

What made you want to be social sec?

Having had great social secs in my fresher year, they introduced me to the social side of rugby. I wanted to carry on the fun and make sure the new freshers and existing club members continued to have just as much fun so decided to give the role a try. I was a massive fan of crisis in my freshers year and never missing a rugby social, I couldn’t let that slip in my second year, so had no excuse but to run for the role of social sec.

Was it everything you expected it to be?

Everything and more, not only do I get to have fun with my second family every week, but also getting to be part of an extremely strong committee this year and helping to building the foundations for club growth is really rewarding. When people think of being social sec, they think drinking, playing games, getting drunk. However, it’s not just all about the drinking, we have lots of sober socials throughout the year, one of the favourites being an all you can eat, because believe me rugby girls like to eat. Also, laser tag was great fun, the competitive sides in us doesn’t stay on the pitch, some serious team tactics were coming out that night. There’s also the welfare side to the role, it’s our job to look after people on nights out and make sure they get home safe etc. but also, we are that friendly face people can talk to about anything and everything. The family system is heavily promoted in the club with each fresher being allocated a rugby mum who may do the same course as them, play the same position or they may already know each other. This backs up the role we play as socials secs in providing support to freshers in a year that can be very hard.

What was the maddest crisis night you can recall?

Recalling crisis is a big ask, but the shit shirt (wavy garm social) has to be one of the best. Coming away from Worcester with an away win right at the start of the season, alumni returning for the night, it was my birthday, there was a buzz in the air. It was possibly the biggest attendance for a social this year, everyone had a banging night and crisis just becomes a blur.

What’s your best drinking games for pres?

There’s too many to pick from, but one of my go to games has to be the animal noise game. Everyone has to come up with an animal noise and fitting action, say someone was a dog, they make a dog noise and action followed by a horse noise and action to pass it onto the horse who would then do their noise and action followed by another to pass it on, this can get very interesting with a lot of people, some elaborate animals come into play and when everyone’s a little drunk it just makes everything funnier.

Which joint social was your favourite?

Rugby League, the two clubs get on really well away from crisis, so adding drinking, games and fancy dress to the mix, nothing can go wrong. Its club tradition for the theme for this social to be Noah’s ark, with a member from each club being assigned an animal which they dress up as and pair up with the same animal from the other team. Fancy dress is always on point, we sing some weird songs, and all head to crisis together.

Best drink for pres?

I stick to the vodka lime lemonade, but the girls drink soft drinks, beers, ciders, wine whatever they fancy.

What advice would you give to other girls on sports teams who are looking to run for social sec or any exec position?

Go for it, you’ve got nothing to lose. Like I said, being on a committee with your teammates, and helping to shape the club and watch it grow is so rewarding. Social sec is definitely one of the more relaxed roles, but by no means are any of them easy, you’ve got to be willing to dedicate a huge chunk of your time to the club.

Edited by Nicole Swain

Jenine Tudtud

Nottingham '17

Jenine is a fourth year American and Canadian Studies student at the University of Nottingham and is hoping to get a career in journalism or publishing. She is currently one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Nottingham! She has just returned from The College of New Jersey after spending the past year studying abroad.