It’s Not Only 43: UoN students and staff join the fight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

20 November is usually a day for Mexicans to unite in celebrating the successful revolution of their country, but this year it was different. After the disappearance of the 43 students from a rural teachers college in Guerrero, the Mexican community both in Mexico and in other parts of the world decided they’d had enough. There would be nothing to celebrate in 2014.

The Facebook event page of the activity stated that as a symbol of their grief for the daily violence and impunity in Mexico, they would dress in black and walk silently around the campus for 43 minutes. Whilst walking around the campus, the demonstrators held signs, saying “It’s not only 43” and below was a different example of other crimes left unsolved and unresolved that have happened in recent years.

The group walked silently and around campus, then students stood outside the revolving door at Portland building. A message was read about the issues surrounding not only the 43 missing students, but the other terrible crimes left unpunished or unresolved in Mexico since the war on drugs started in 2006. Then, one by one, the students jumped onto the floor, feigning death, until there lay 43, motionless, to represent the 43 most recent disappeared students, missing since September.

After the event, Leona met with Associate Professor in Quantum Technology at the University Of Nottingham, Ivette Fuentes, who participated in this demonstration to learn more about what the international community can do and is doing in regards to the situation in Mexico.

L: Firstly, can you tell us a little more about yourself?

I: I’m originally from Mexico City but I’ve lived in the UK for many years now. I did my PhD in Imperial and was also a fellow at Oxford University before coming to Nottingham about five and a half years ago.

L: What was it that you did today here on campus?

I:   November 20 is an important day for Mexicans, but there is nothing for us to celebrate this year. We are mourning the 43 missing students who were taken by the government. We have been told that they were burnt, but we doubt this information is accurate. We want to make the international community, especially students here at the university, aware of the things that are happening in Mexico and ask for their help. We don’t want people to be killed or hurt anymore. We want students to follow the news, keep informed on the case and sign petitions forcing MPS to respect human rights in Mexico.

L: How many people took part today?

I: Over 50 people joined the walk on campus and over 200 people have already signed the petition. Not all the people were Mexican; I was really happy to see other nationalities get involved.

L: And how did you feel when you were walking silently around campus?

I: I felt that I was doing the right thing. I felt grateful to the non-Mexicans for joining us. I also felt a closeness to my fellow Mexicans. I lived quite a privileged life in Mexico but I have still witnessed people suffering in the streets. Now is our opportunity to get involved and try to improve the situation in Mexico, so it was very important for us to get out and walk with our signs to show that the government’s actions won’t be tolerated.

L: Why did you choose today?

I: We didn’t choose the date. Through Facebook we saw that other people were gathering together on this day and organising activities not only in Mexico, but in other places, from Bristol to York, universities have all done some activity today. We wanted to make an example so people in Mexico can feel they are supported.

L: How important is Facebook for spreading the message and getting people involved?

I: Facebook is such an important tool. If it wasn’t for Facebook, I wouldn’t know any information about the situation in Mexico. With it [Facebook], you can get in the moment news from people who are at demonstrations or press conferences. You can see videos and pictures from all over the world that people repost and share in different groups. I share articles, pictures and information to my scientific colleagues in different places and I am also urging the scientific community to join together and write a letter to the MPs saying that enough is enough, the violence in Mexico has to stop.

L: How successful was today?

I: Today was really important for us all to come out. If there were only 5 of us, it would have been a disappointment, but there were over 50 of us so we are just getting started. We plan to repeat the walk again in the city centre with more people so it will have a bigger impact. If more people go to the streets, this will worry the government. People have to be organise peaceful protest instead of seeking revenge.

L: And on a personal level, how has this affected you?

I: I’ve gone through a change. I decided that I will be committed to being involved in the issues surrounding my country not for one day, one month or one year, but for the rest of my life. I’ve felt pain and been frustrated many times and now I have found what I can do.  It’s a change that I’ve always had inside me.

L: What ways can Her Campus readers get involved?

I: Mainly, I urge people to sign the petition, follow the news and bring the issue to the MPs. Sharing and reposting articles on Facebook is also a great way to spread the news. Human rights are not being respected and we are all humans. If these things can happen in Mexico, they can happen in other countries too. So many people have been killed, it’s unacceptable. We need to help each other, no matter what country we are from.

L: Is there an online petition?

I: Yes and for those who want to get involved in other ways, they can join the AyotziNotts Facebook group and share posts in their own Facebook groups and walls.

L: Is there a hashtag we can use on social media?

I: Yes, it’s #YaMeCansé – it means “I’ve had enough” after at a news conference, the Attorney General said these words to reporters trying to ask him questions. The Mexican people soon started to use this hashtag as we have also had enough.

Following the recent events, President of UoN’s Mexican Society Francisco Carrasco-Hernández released the following statement on 24 November:

“I think we have a responsibility while studying or working abroad to be representatives of our country, Mexico in this case.

And this responsibility is in different levels: from the dissemination of our culture and traditions, the exchange of knowledge and the strengthening of bonds with other countries; to the communication of the situation and social events being experienced in Mexico right now.

It is undeniable the level of social discontent currently experienced in Mexico is not only because of the unfortunate events in Ayotzinapa (the disappearance of the 43 students by law enforcement) but by the accumulation of continuing social problems which are far from being resolved. These problems include the deep economic gap, the continued violation of human rights and the corruption that permeates the Mexican political system which has narrowed the relationship between the State and the Drug Cartels leaving the population at the mercy of crime.

Given this situation and our desire to express our feelings about these unfortunate events, it arose between us the idea of making a demonstration in a different way to which we as Mexicans are identified abroad (happy, expressive, lousy, festive), in other words…silence.

We decided to remain silent for 43 minutes under the premise “It’s not only 43” as the social problems come not just from now but from years ago. This was just the straw that broke the camel’s back. We went to the Student Union at UoN to externalize our ideas and we found a lot of support as well as some recommendations like the collection of signatures so we could later send them to our MP’s in support to our demonstrations.

As I was collecting the signatures I realized the impact that this event had within students, staff and visitors of the University. I had several comments of people surprised about the situation going on in Mexico and amazed that this had not had enough media coverage. During the demonstration I saw people researching about the 43 students and they appreciated the information and even some of them joined us during the walk.

We are, as a group, completely astonished, grateful and touched by all of the support we received and the impact this event had within the International Community. At the end that was our main objective: to inform and raise awareness of the socio-political situation in Mexico, asking for international support, demanding answers and stopping the violation of Human Rights in our country.”

Image sources

Carolina Rivera

Edited by Sam Carey

Leona Hinds

Nottingham

Leona is a final year languages student. This year she's back in Nottingham after spending her year abroad in the Canary Islands and China. She is sporty, curious and has a weakness for Kit Kat Chunkys.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!