Ismail Sadurdeen: SU Presidential Candidate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Her Campus Nottingham met up with Ismail, a 3rd Year Economics student running to be SU President. He has had lots of experience, ranging from being part of the Raleigh Park JCR to Activities Officer for the Sri Lankan Society. 

Hey Ismail! Can you tell us a bit about what the role of SU President entails?

I would be representing you – all 34,000 students and effectively being a lobbyist to make sure the university takes into account our concerns, issues and problems as students. We are an important stakeholder in the university. I will be fighting for what’s best for every member of the students’ union.

Why do you think you’d be good at it?

I’m really passionate about this role and I enjoy serving people. I’ve been lucky to have been entrusted with positions of responsibility since high school such as prefectship and at university I’m a chairperson of Model United Nation conferences around the world. I believe that the skills I have gained in these roles will be invaluable if elected as SU President. 

What part of your manifesto do you think will appeal to most people?   

I think the most appealing part of my manifesto would be setting up of relaxation spaces across campuses. This will include having sleep pods and massages chairs and will be great because you can take a nap without being judged at university.

Are you expecting any parts of the job to be particularly difficult? Why?

Some of the changes I propose would completely change the way things are usually done, such as merging international welcome week and freshers week. It will involve working with people outside of the SU such as the international office which will be challenging and different but having experience of spending some time in Ningbo campus and travelled to 27 countries for conferences and adventure I think I can take on the challenges. I’ll be really looking forward to the difficult parts of the job if I’m elected SU President. 

Anything we should look out for during the next week of campaigning? We’ve already seen the Snapchat filters and are very impressed! 

Yes we have a few more surprises in store! As much as I would like to tell you I think it’s best when they happen and the results speak for themselves.

Why should we vote for you? 

There are few reasons why I believe I am worthy of your vote :

1. Brand new policies which are realistic, achievable and benefit all students.2. You will be helping to make history by electing the first International President of Nottingham3. I will always go the extra mile to make you smile as your SU President

Anything you’d like to add for our readers? 

Thank you so much for the tremendous support, encouragement and love shown to me during the campaign trail. I really hope you take part in this election by casting your vote to whoever you feel will be the right candidate for the job.

QUICKFIRE ROUND 

Ocean- yay or nay? Yay.

VKs or Jagerbombs? Neither.

Pizza or pasta? Pasta.

Cats or dogs? Dogs.

If you were to go on Mastermind, what would your specialist subject be? Economics.

What would your dream job be? Foreign Minister of Sri Lanka.

Hallward or George Green? Hallward.

Gandalf or Dumbledore? Dumbledore.

Thank you for your time Ismail- we wish you the best of luck with your campaign!