Interview with Tom Prior at the Coffee House Sessions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I was lucky enough to catch up with Tom Prior on Tuesday after his Coffee House Session in Nottingham Trent Student’s Union. He performed a variety of songs including ‘Take It All’, ‘Bad Advice’, ‘Don’t Worry’, ‘Thorn in My Side’, ‘Sundays’ and ‘Looks Like Rain’. ‘Don’t Worry’ and ‘Looks Like Rain’ were my personal favourites, but all of his songs are so raw and honest. We discussed his musical journey so far, as well as what he has planned for the future.

1. How did you establish yourself on the independent music scene?

What a question, diving in at the deep end. It’s mainly just gigging you know, putting on loads of nights. What happened with me that’s a bit different to the norm is that I had a shed, a studio in the shed in the back of my garden that everybody knows about. Whoever I would be working with in the studio, we’d hire out venues and put on our own nights. We did it so consistently that we managed to create a following. I don’t know when the change was but I think you have to be consistent in what you do for it to progress.

2. Can you tell me what ‘looks like rain’ is about?

I was on a beach in Malta and I got a phone call from my sister saying that she had gone through her first heartbreak. I don’t think I wrote it immediately as I didn’t come back to England for a little while. I think with a lot of the songs, I’m not really smart enough to be able to sit down and say I’m going to write a song about this. It’s just when you get halfway through a track you realise what it could be about, and the last few lines become about that thing.

3. Do you have a favourite track of your own?

At the moment, it is usually Bad Advice pretty much all the time. Although, I am quite proud of Flashing Amber actually because I did that with Sticky Blood as well, we got a bit of stick for a little while for only being able to make angry music, so I was quite happy that I got to do that with them.

4. Is there anyone you would like to collaborate with?

Yeah, at the moment, in terms of new artists, we were just talking about a guy called Louis Berry. He’s from Liverpool and I heard his song 25 Reasons and I just thought it was sick. So yes, Louis Berry at the moment.

5. How does it feel to have credit from big stars like Paloma Faith, TinieTempahetc?

It is really cool. It’s hard to get your head around it really. I think what is good with Paloma, having met her, she is a very genuine person, she is a fellow Londoner which makes it a bit easier and it’s really good. I am very grateful for it and I would never wish it away but at the same time, it is not number one priority to have this long list of names.

6. Do you have any advice for aspiring musicians?

I think if you’re looking to be an artist, write good songs, utilise the internet and don’t rush, the strength of your songs in the end will determine how far you get I think.

Tom is incredibly talented.

Find him on social media:

Instagram- @tompriormusic

Twitter- @tompriormusic

Facebook- Tom Prior

Edited by: Jessica Greaney

Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/tompriorofficial/photos/a.384857374875051.105863.374778249216297/1431622163531895/?type=1&theater

19. History Undergraduate at UoN. Lover of live music.
Immy Hibberd

Nottingham