Interview: Anything Goes! – UoN and Musicality’s Upcoming Nautically-themed Musical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Lucy Castle, a 3rd year English Student and the director and choreographer of Anything Goes!, along with her cast and crew, talk to Her Campus Nottingham about their upcoming, and much anticipated, musical rendering of  Cole Porter’s classic which runs from February 10th until February 13th 2016 at Nottingham Arts Centre on George Street.

So, what made you decide to get involved with directing and choreographing this show?

I’ve done the past two Musicality productions and I wanted to give directing a go and opt for something new. I’ve done a bit of choreography before but never anything to this scale.

And how is it being a director of such a large scale project?

The cast and crew answer for Lucy: She’s fantastic!

Oh wow, great response from your cast and crew there Lucy! Give me a perk?

Getting to shout at everyone-ha!

No, it’s really nice to manage an idea I’ve got in my head and after teaching and choreographing it to everyone, actually watching it work and come alive and my cast enjoying it. Yep, that’s a brilliant feeling.

And a challenge?

Getting everyone to be silent when I need them to be at rehearsals is always an exciting and charged time. It’s very difficult when we’re doing all the big group numbers, especially being the same age as everyone, as I’m not exactly their teacher but I still need to issue orders and get everyone to listen.I think finding the balance between friends and a professional relationship is ideal.

What’s the key to directing?

Organisation.

How long have you all been rehearsing for this?

Since October- every weekend since then, apart from Christmas. It truly is a time commitment.

How many times a week do you rehearse?

Principles have Wednesday evenings and the full cast rehearse at the weekend.

So, how many cast members on stage do you have?

24 in the cast- it’s quite a large scale performance.

So, tell us a little more about what we can expect from the show?

For starters, a lot of laughter- there’s a lot of mistaken identity riddled throughout which really makes the show entertaining!

The cast and crew members interviewed by HC Nottingham.

Speaking to the Music Director, Emma Kennedy.

How important is your role? 

The show is primarily a musical, so the show story and the music work together to make the play come alive. It’s all very energetic and has some really fun musical pieces- some are even influenced by jazz music.

What is your favourite song from the show?

‘Blow, Gabriel, Blow’ is really good. It does, however, feature a lot of dance breaks, which has been a bit of a challenge.

So, to be in this you need to know how to sing, act and dance?

Yes, absolutely. We call the cast members ‘triple threats’ as they are able to do all three. To be honest, you could just pretend to dance as enthusiasm and confidence are more essential!

How many people auditioned?

About 60 or so. Only 24 made it and being able to filter everyone into our wonderful cast was another challenge. Becca (Rebecca Lillie plays Hope Harcourt) made us cry with her audition- we were so moved.

What are you most excited for?

The Sitzprobe- which is where you all just sit and sing but with the actual orchestra for the first time. It truly makes a difference. Oh, and costumes for sure! It’s all starting to fuse together, it’s truly exciting. For ideas to come to fruition, both musically and theatrically, it’s wonderful!

What else is everyone else excited for?

Jake Gelernter who plays Eli Whitney: I’m excited for the after party!!

How many Freshers have made it this year?

Most of the Principles are mainly freshers- they’ve dominated it this year.

Has juggling this with university life been difficult for you as freshers?

The commitment is quite difficult- 10 am -5 pm on the weekend, which makes it more intense than your average university week, but it teaches you time management and it’s something which we’re passionate about so it’s not difficult to commit to!

What’s the first thing you’ll do once the show is over?

All: Sleep!!

Speaking to Oliver Smith, a 4th Year Medic playing Lord Evelyn Oakleigh.

What have you found most challenging? 

The dancing, I’m not a natural dancer at all, but it’s extremely enjoyable, it’s great to invest in this alongside my studies.

Speaking to Lucy, Emma and Jordan Balkham, the producer.

What made you choose this particular musical?

We wanted something with an equal gender split- that was our top priority. We wanted something that appealed to everyone equally. It’s all a very fun, enthusiastic, happy show; no conflict, just an extravaganza to entertain all ages!

So, cast, what do you think of Lucy, Emma and Jordan, your three leading crew members? 

Cast: They’re absolutely brilliant!

Edited by Georgina Varley

For more information on the production: https://www.facebook.com/anythinggoesnotts

Purchase your tickets here:  http://nottinghamartstheatre.savoysystems.co.uk/NottinghamArtsTheatre.dll/

Image Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/anythinggoesnotts

Image by Radhika Chond

Harry Potter Fanatic. What's life without a fresh, steaming coffee, a book to hand, and soaking in the London rain? Nox.