This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Handmade Nottingham is a self-funded small independent business, dedicated to supporting independent UK design makers and introducing the artists to the residents of Nottingham.

This little shop located in Trinity Square caught my eye with its colourful display windows and decoration. I couldn’t resist the urge to go in and discover what they had to offer, and it really took me by surprise.

There’s so much art to search through and appreciate it takes longer to browse than you might assume, don’t be fooled by the shops size!  Just like the exterior, the interior is bursting with warm colours and hidden gems of art waiting to be found. They sell many different products catering to support their artists in appealing to different interests of the customers. These products include digital prints from sizes A3 to A6, fabric plants, plant accessories, pins, coasters and mugs, stickers, cards, and everyone’s favourite, tote bags. They incorporate a variety of themes for their artwork, including Nottingham city itself. I love that some of the artwork is personal to the city, it makes it feel a lot more familiar and homely.

On their website they organise their products by theme, price, or occasion, making it easy to find what you’re looking for -even if you’re unsure on what that is.  You can even shop by maker if you find that you’re more drawn to a particular artists work.

Having only discovered Handmade Nottingham this summer, and being a passionate art enthusiast, it’s quickly become somewhere I like to go in to treat myself to a unique addition to my room, or to surprise my friends with random gifts that made me think of them. From their sweet-smelling candles to their colourful and quirky pin badges, they provide a selection of ways to add beautiful art into your life. Making it perfect for gift giving because there’s so much to choose from!

With winter fast approaching, indulging in a trip to Handmade Nottingham will help you forget about the cold wind and rain outside with its bright and welcoming indoors, that genuinely looks like sunshine. While being such a personal way of getting to know the city better, it’s also made the city feel a lot less overwhelming and peaceful. It’s really the perfect place to forget about the business of uni life while looking around at the joyous pieces created by these artists.

Deniz Kalayci-Clow

Nottingham '24

Deniz Kalayci-Clow is the co-editor at the Nottingham chapter of Her Campus, she oversees and guides her team of writers, reading and editing a range of topics in weekly articles and publishing them on the website. Her interests include supporting local businesses by introducing fellow readers to the creative corners and helping them feel more comfortable by guiding them through the city. She is currently a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. In her free time, she balances work, creative outlets like art, tries out different forms of exercise, and makes use of any excuse to have a sweet treat to get through the day.