Wellness

In Need of a City-Detox? Prettiest Natural Spots for Autumnal Walks around Nottingham.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

As a country girl, I have grown up surrounded by trees, fields, and wildlife in the beautiful rural county of Herefordshire. When I moved to Nottingham in first year, I was swept up by the hustle of the city, the busyness of university life, and a growing load of academic work. I found myself becoming increasingly overwhelmed with the stimulants of urban life. Despite trying to find stress releases through sports and socialising with friends, I had a deep, underlying craving for fresh air and an escape from the noise. 

Luckily for us UoN students, Nottingham has a surprisingly large number of natural walking spots in and around the city. Now I am going into my third and final year, I have tried and tested many of the spots, narrowing it down to five of the best locations for crisp Autumnal walks!

(Locations are ranked in order of distance from University Park Campus and are all completely free!)

1. Highfields Park (University Park)

Located right on the doorstep of our lovely University Park Campus, Highfields Park is a gorgeous space for a walk. Though it is not huge, the park offers a welcome escape from the city bustle, with a tranquil walk around the lake. There are also opportunities to hire boats on the lake, which is great fun – just watch out that you don’t hit any ducks or geese with your paddles! 

• Wollaton Park

Wollaton Park is also within walking distance of both the University Park and Jubilee Campuses, making it an ideal walking spot if you’re not keen on paying for travel. Located just a five-minute-walk from David Ross, the park is perfect for a longer walk (or run) around the beautiful lake, gardens, and woodlands. Wollaton is also home to over 100 wild deer, so keep a look out during your walk to see some jumping around or hiding in the trees. If you start to get hungry, Wollaton Hall has a couple of lovely cafés, which supply a delicious choice of hot drinks, cakes, pasties, and milkshakes. 

• Attenborough Nature Reserve

Opened by the legend himself, the Attenborough Nature Reserve is a luscious natural space and a habitat for a vast array of wildlife, including over 250 species of birds! Situated just outside of Beeston, Attenborough is only a short bus journey from campus. The wildlife reserve is perfect for walking or cycling around, with various route options alongside the lakes and the river Trent. Some of the routes stretch to over 5 miles, making Attenborough a great choice for those who prefer a longer-lasting walk. I also recommend the café, located in the visitor centre, for scenic views of the lake whilst enjoying their tasty cakes and hot drinks. 

• Sherwood Forest

I visited this iconic forest for the first time this year and had a lovely time! Although you need a car to travel here from campus, the journey is only an hour – and well worth it. Within the forest, there are multiple walking routes varying in length. If you follow the signs through the woodlands, you will stumble across the famous Major Oak tree – where legend says Robin Hood used to meet with his gang back in the day! 
(P.S. If you visit Sherwood on a Sunday, I really recommend walking 5 mins down the road to the Royal Oak pub for a roast – super yummy and great value for money.)

• Peak District

If you are fortunate enough to have access to a car, I really recommend making the most of living in the East Midlands, by visiting the nearby Peak District. There are so many spectacular walks to choose from, with most of the locations being only an hour’s drive away. Some of my personal favourites include MamTor, Ladybower Reservoir, and Stanage Edge (where they filmed the famous Pride and Prejudice rock scene!). A trip to the Peak District is a must for those who want a proper walk, due to the extensive area of British countryside and the amazing views. Plus, the Northern air in the Peaks is apparently the best city-detox you can get (according to my Yorkshire boyfriend…). 

Libby Warren

Nottingham '24

Libby Warren is a writer for the Nottingham Chapter of Her Campus, specialising in sociological issues and current affairs, with her other interests including travelling, film/TV and sport. She is a final year Sociology student at the University of Nottingham, hoping to study Broadcast Journalism after her undergrad. Alongside writing articles, Libby hosts UoN's women in sport podcast: 'Like A Green And Gold Girl'. In her free time, Libby plays competitive badminton in BUCS. She also loves all things film/TV/theatre, having trained as an actor in London before coming to Nottingham.