This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Isn’t it quite strange that over Christmas, we all eat all the festive foods like brussel sprouts, chestnuts, cranberries, satsumas, parsnips… but once we get back into the New Year, seasonal eating just disappears? We may not realise it, but most of the foods we eat over the holiday period are because December is the month they can be harvested in the UK, and so they become a major part of our diet. But do you ever think about eating what is growing at other times of the year? 

2020 is predicted to bring us much more sustainable eating, with a big rise in plant based diets and energy efficient foods, but not much is said about seasonal shopping, which actually is super handy for students: food in season is readily available, and cheaper than alternatives, and eating in season encourages us to eat more fruit and vegetables as well. 

Most importantly, these foods are much more energy-intensive, as they are not flown halfway across the world to our plates. So, if you want to give it a go, here’s a little inspiration for the month ahead…

Rhubarb: may sound strange, but this is actually an inexpensive and really tasty sweet vegetable plant that is easier than you think to include in your diet. Try it stewed on porridge in the morning for a boost of vitamin K and calcium.

Broccoli: a highly underrated vegetable in my opinion… and there’s no excuse not to cook with it, because the best way to retain all the nutrients is by microwaving it! Put it in microwave safe container, add 4 tbsp of water, cover with a lid and microwave for 3 to 4 minutes, and that’s one of your 5-a-day sorted. 

Mussels: might seem like a weird choice for a student diet, but muscles are actually really cheap and most mussels in the UK are farmed in suitable coastal waters, meaning they are one of the most environmentally friendly fish sources available. Try adding them to a super simple paella dish to really impress your housemates. 

Kale: let’s be honest: the trendier version of cabbage. It is grown all across the north of England and Scotland in cold conditions and is actually one of the most nutrient dense foods on the plant, regarded as a superfood sue to the amount of antioxidants, minerals, and fibre it contains. Also, it can be used straight from the freezer, making it a great staple to have to add to soups, curries, smoothies or basically anything. 

Salmon: February is the most sustainable time of year to be enjoying this oily fish, which is high in omega 3 fatty acids which help brain function – vital if coursework is starting to build up already! It is easy to fry up with some rice, have on a bagel with some cream cheese and stir into a pasta salad. 

Other easy seasonal food ideas include swapping sweet potatoes for swede – just as easy to cook and still super tasty, or switching carrots for parsnips (especially good roasted with garlic and chilli flakes), these simple steps can be a great start to making 2020 a more sustainable decade of eating. 

Katy Skillen

Nottingham '22

Hi, I'm a second year nutrition and dietetic student at Uni of Notts, interested in healthy eating and living, body positivity and all things food-related!
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.