How to Know if…He’s Just Not That Into You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

We’ve all been there where we really like a guy but it’s just not progressing to where you want it to go. If you’ve seen the film ‘He’s Just Not That Into You’ you’ve probably sat through an hour and a half learning just how you and your friends make excuses for that guy you really like: “his phone battery died” or “he’s probably helping the homeless”. Just in case you think you’re the exception, more often than not you’re in denial, because let’s be honest girls, we’re probably the rule. Nothing worth having comes easy but in reality it definitely shouldn’t be this hard. So put your high heels on, take off those rose-tinted glasses, and get back out there, because let’s be honest, he’s just not that into you. Here is a list of his behaviours that might suggest you’re not the girl for him.

– He doesn’t text you first
– He doesn’t open doors for you
– He only calls you when he’s drunk
– He doesn’t offer to pay
– He never stays at yours, you always stay at his
– He always wants to hang out “soon”
– He takes ages to reply to your messages and calls
– He creates his birthday event on Facebook and “forgets” to invite you
– He gets easily distracted when he is talking to you
– He brings three friends on your first “date”
– He always talks about his ex-girlfriends
– He has a shag tally on his wall — let’s just say you’re neither at the top or the bottom
– He seems to be the one person you don’t bump into in Ocean… coincidence?
– He doesn’t introduce you to his friends, and if he does he introduces you to them as “my friend …..”
– He doesn’t acknowledge you when you walk into room
– He doesn’t do the little things
– He doesn’t give you eye contact as he’s too busy looking a little further south
– He doesn’t offer you his hoodie when you’re cold
– He doesn’t help you with your heavy bags
– He doesn’t cuddle after sex
– He doesn’t make you breakfast
– He kicks you out early in the morning
– He doesn’t mention you to his parents
– He loves the fact that you grew up with 4 brothers — you actually grew up with 2 sisters
– He may be the first guy you kissed that night, but you were certainly not the first girl he kissed
– He goes to get you a drink at the bar but never comes back (he “accidently” gives it to someone else)
– He describes his dream girl as tall, tanned and brunette — you’re short, pale and blonde
– He loves receiving but isn’t so great at giving
– He treats you like one of the lads
– He thinks McDonald’s is the perfect place for a first date
– He always seems to have other plans when you try to meet up
– He pats you on the back when you hug
– He’s too busy to text you back but he’s not too busy to update his Facebook status about everything he’s eaten that day
– He’s affectionate in private but won’t even stand next to you in public
– He checks out other girls when he’s in conversation with you
– He doesn’t seem to remember anything you’ve told him before
– He spends most of his time with you between sunset and sunrise
– He doesn’t mind if you “see” other people
– He (more importantly) hopes you don’t mind if he “sees” other people
– He forgets your birthday
– He forgets your name
– He cancels on you last minute
– He tells you he’s not looking for anything serious but a week later he is “in a relationship” on Facebook with another girl
– He tells you he’s having a night out with the lads but you bump into him whilst he’s on a date
– He directly tells you that “he’s just not that into you”…

I know we can all get caught up in the moment and think that being in a whirlwind romance is the be-all and end-all, but let’s face it we’re all still young and at University and we have the rest of our lives to meet Mr Right. For now let’s focus on developing lifelong friendships and making unforgettable memories. On the bright side we can use all our embarrassing boy stories for a perfect game of ‘Never Have I Ever’. For those of you fortunate enough to have found your exception to the rule, hold on tight as it’s not always easy finding the dove among the pigeons.

Allie Pinder

Nottingham

Allie is a fourth year American Studies student, who returned from a year abroad studying at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, where she joined the Illinois Zeta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi Sorority. She is the Social Secretary of the AmeriCan Society at Nottingham, enjoys travelling, and has a tiny obsession with the Lion King. 
Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.